Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn the Wiggles!

Darn the Wiggles!

Their music is insidious. It gets in your head and won't let go! For those that don't know they are a pre-school kids entertainment group out of Australia and shown on the Disney channel here. It's high-quality edutainment for kids. I played their show for the kids when they were small and I thought they were done with it, but now my 6-yr old girl has started watching again. Now all these catchy songs are attacking my brain again!

Haven't seen any of the new yellow Wiggle, still watch the old Greg version.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 06-16-2008 at 7:31 PM.

Hot potato, Hot potato ...

Romp, Romp-a-chomp ...

Get ready ... to wiggle ... get ready ...

[did I make it worse???]

Actually I really don't mind the songs. Nice break from the regular mindless drivel on the radio.

Toot Toot Chugga Chugga!

I also like when they bring in other famous artists for guest spots. My favorite song is Taba Naba with Christine Anu.

Check out Hi-5.

A couple of their singers are more appealing to the typical father

By the time she is eight, she will have moved on!!

PS fruit salad yummy yummy!!!

Blog Entries
    You should try the Veggie Tales song collections! Like the Pirates that Don't do anything!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank goodness ours are all grown, and we have no grandkids yet!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

C'mon and do the Monkey!

The Wiggles are a WELCOME addition to my house and head since my kids graduated from Barney. Now THAT's some bad stuff. As if it weren't unsettling enough to have a Bizarro Dino singing, jumping, and batting his armstubs all over the place, the songs are all just bad vanilla PC covers of previous songs. They'll take Yankee Doodle Dandy and make it into a song about hugging friends. What's up with that?

But by FAR, the worst is anything Disney. First of all, Pocahontis, Little Mermaid and Aladdin are all the same story. Second, why are there no mothers in any of the stories; all the women are evil witches. Third, and most pernicious, the whole machine is geared to make you buy more and more meaningless stuff.

I actually like the Wiggles. Although Captain Feathersword kind of weirds me out. And where are Jeff's eyebrows? They look like 70's trekkies without the phasers.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 06-26-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You should try the Veggie Tales song collections! Like the Pirates that Don't do anything!
    Yes ... Very funny
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

I think those guys and the the other group like (forgot name but several grown people like the wiggles) them are creepy. I just cant imagine a man doing that for a living.

Kids do like it though. Seems a little too Neverland Ranch to me.

Ben (4 yr old boy, 18 mo girl)
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Veggie tails, my sons favorite. OH where is my hair brush..... oh where is my hair brush....
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow View Post
    I think those guys and the the other group like (forgot name but several grown people like the wiggles) them are creepy. I just cant imagine a man doing that for a living.

Kids do like it though. Seems a little too Neverland Ranch to me.

Ben (4 yr old boy, 18 mo girl)
    A bit of background from Oz on the Wiggles.

Two of them were in a bona fide rock band when the kid brother of one was killed. It got him thinking about doing something for kids and that led to the Wiggles.

The other two original members were primary school teachers.

So, unlike a lot of stuff for kids the Wiggles:

• really try to have real information and tell kids important stuff
    • have real musicians who can write real songs
    • know quite a lot about kids from actually working with them and being trained in teaching them
    • have good contacts with the grown up side of the entertainment biz
    I admit that Captain Feathersword is a ditz and the Wiggles are very hammy, but they are way less irritating than a lot of stuff made for kids and the kids do learn some things - one example is that if you have a kid who is gulping food without chewing it properly, you can remind them to chew by just humming the "Chew, chew your food" song. It's silly, but it works (which as every parent knows is all that counts)

I have to agree that the Wiggles are a whole lot better than the big purple dinosaur...

But if you really want a treat, They Might Be Giants has some kids' titles--we have "Here Come the ABC's" and it is a favorite (of me and the kid...)

Keith
    SMC depends on your donation--please contribute! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Yeah, I was psyched to find out TMBG found a new life in this market. Their stuff is quirky and fun!

Hmmm, thankfully my daughter hasn't discovered this music. She watches SpongeBob to death, which I like very much, except when we're watching the same episode for the 3rd time, later in the day!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.