Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Angle Finder Restocked at Lee Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    Just for you, I went and tested mine against a Staedtler 30/60/90 drafting triangle. It read within 0.05 degrees of the expected values. No guarantees that it's accurate at the ~3600 angles I didn't test.
    Just for me??? Aw Shucks! Thanks for that. That sounds pretty darned good to me. Now I just have to decide how bad I want something I don't need. As I said before, I have plenty of tools I don't really need just because they were such a great buy. I use my Beall Tilt Box to set the angle on my TS blade and set the fence on my jointer. I've used it to set the bevel on my RAS and my CMS. I could use the LV gauge to set the miter gauge but it's an Incra 1000se and it's always been completely reliable. It could be used to set the angle of my CMS and RAS. Actually, I rarely do anything but straight cuts on either my CMS or RAS but it's good to know I could use it for that. What else? Checking angles when assembling projects or trying to match another project. I can sit and play with it while watching TV on the couch. I'm sure I can come up with something else.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    Actually, I rarely do anything but straight cuts on either my CMS or RAS but it's good to know I could use it for that. What else?
    Bruce
    How about measure for crown molding corners (inside and out), or corners of basemolding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    How about measure for crown molding corners (inside and out), or corners of basemolding.
    Please...PLEASE!...No more crown moldings or baseboards!!!

Yes, it would work quite well for that but my goal is not to have to do either of those again. Or at least not on a house. For furniture though I don't mind. But hopefully the box to which it's being attached is already perfectly square. Well, hopefully anyway.

Bruce

4. I usually don't have a need for knowing an absolute angle of things so I use a common bevel gauge. For setting a table saw blade angle, the built-in gauge gets me in the ballpark and then I test/cut-to-fit. How you do guys use these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Hochstetler View Post
    I usually don't have a need for knowing an absolute angle of things so I use a common bevel gauge. For setting a table saw blade angle, the built-in gauge gets me in the ballpark and then I test/cut-to-fit. How you do guys use these things?
    I attach the Beall Tilt Box to the side of my blade, crank the handle until it reads the angle I need. That's nearly always 45 degrees but I have done an occasional odd angle. Or, I attach it to my jointer fence and adjust it until it's square to the tables. It's faster and easier than trial and error for me.

Bruce

6. The Bosch Digital Protractor is an excellent example of what these do, but the price is quite a bit higher. I have checked the Bosch and it truly is accurate. To get a perspective, it reads out in tenths of a degree. Considering that there are 360 degrees in a circle, and with tenths of a degree, that means you have 3600 dots in a circle, no matter how small the circle. It it is accurate enough to give you a true 90.0, or 180.0 for example, then it is accurate to something greater then a tenth of a degree. So looking into 36,000 dots in a circle gets kind of crazy.
    So for the Lee Valley tool, an accuracy of within 0.2 is pretty darn accurate, especially considering it is a $20 tool.
    I use the Bosch when I need to get an accurate setting for something other than a 45 or 90. The Starret gauge is easier to use for that. The Bosch is a larger unit. It also has a built in crown molding calculator. You lay the protractor up against the back of your crown molding to get the angle of where it lays on the wall, then press the button, and then take the protractor over to the wall, and measure the angle of the wall. (They are rarely a true 90) then press the button again, and it gives you the miter setting, and press it again, and it gives you the bevel setting. You set your miter saws miter and bevel setting, laying your crown molding FLAT on the miter saw and cut perfect crowns every time. (As long as the miter saw is accurate. )
    I am tempted to get one of these because of how reasonable the price is but I have the Bosch, and a Starrett Jobsite protractor that is within a few tenths of a degree in accuracy, and holds an angle well when you want to place it up to some work, then transfer that angle to a piece of wood, but believe me for 20 bucks I am tempted.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Just when I had reached that equilibrium point of thinking I didn't need any more tools for awhile!! You guys remind me of the quote "Don't tempt me - I can resist anything but temptation."

Did notice that the instructions have certain working limitations. Working temperature: +5°C ~ + 45°C and Working humidity: < 85%RH. The temp range wouldn't present any issues, but in our summer weather, the humidity limit may be an issue at times. Any thoughts or has anyone had experience with high humidities and the effect, if any?

I have a Bosch digital angle gauge (one of my fav tools) and bought the Lee Valley one a few months ago to get into tighter spaces. While the build quality seems like you get what you pay for, it was spot on with the Bosch in terms of accuracy. (Assuming the Bosch is accurate). Good use of $20 if you ask me.

I went on line at LV to get one of these things for $20 and somehow I ended up with $200 of stuff in my cart.
    “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Zelaska View Post
    I went on line at LV to get one of these things for $20 and somehow I ended up with $200 of stuff in my cart.
    Yeah, I can't ever figure that one out because it happens to me with each order from LV....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Yeah, I can't ever figure that one out because it happens to me with each order from LV....
    You guys should be smart like me. I just responded to their email ad and just spent the $20 plus shipping for the gauge.

Got mine in from Lee valley. Looks like a decent tool and appears to be accurate. Don't think you can beat it for $20. Unexpected bonus are the two beautiful catalogs they included!

Does anyone have a free shipping code?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Does anyone have a free shipping code?

James
    I wish! Does LV ever give free shipping?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mick,
    Mine only cost me $60. What a deal.