Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New PM 209 Falling apart! What now??

return it

Nathan: Take lots and lots of pictures, log everything you do on a pad of paper, who you talk to, date and time and what transpired. If you paid by charge card protest your payment. Return the planer to the dealer. He lied to you. I don't believe what you described is an "authorized" repair. Even if it is it doesn't work. If the dealer is an authorized powermatic dealer they can exert some pressure. I would transport it back to the dealer and deposit it inside their store. It is not worth anything the way it is now. Take pictures of the event returning it to the dealer and have two or more witnesses with you ( not relatives). Ask for an employee to sign a statement acknowledging receipt of the machine( they probably won't do that ) but maybe a worker might do it without thinking if you're do it low keyed. Then start a small claims court procedure immediately. It takes a while and is good leverage. I like the earlier poster's suggestion to record conversations. I was told by a lawyer a while ago that in New York State that you can record converstations between you and someone else legally. I don't know about your state. I don't think that has changed but I am not sure. It is too bad this has to happen in our society. Good Luck!
    Gary

It sounds like the unit had shipping damage. And the original purchaser returned it to the store because of it. The store then in turn performed an illegal repair. I would check if they are an official repair facility for the planer. Like mentioned above. Sit down and write down everything. Anytime you remember something, write it down. Sometimes its hard to bring everything back in one sitting. Make copies of the paperwork you have.

But before you file legal papers. Go to the store and talk to the owner! Court will toss it right away if you did not at least attempt communications with them. And make sure you keep a record of all your communications, or attempts at communicating with them.

If they refuse you a new unit or refund. Then follow through with court. I don't know about where you live but small claims is not that much. But be prepared if you do go to court!! If you look like your unprepared or shooting from the hip, you will loose. The more professional you appear the better your chances. Especially if it turns into a he said she said affair.

Good luck. Sorry for your troubles.

One note: If the store is not cooperative. Ask the store for the previous owners contact information. They will probably refuse to give it to you. Ask them to call the person from the store. If they refuse them again. Tell them you are going to run an add in the local paper asking for the person to contact you! If they balk, you can subpoena their sales records. You will have to pay a fee for this. And a court officer to deliver it (another fee). I am betting that if they know your serious about contacting the previous owner, they will start changing their story. And may be a little more helpfull!
    Last edited by Ben Cadotte; 06-17-2008 at 4:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Conner View Post
    You know what, David? That's not crazy at all, but it hadn't occurred to me. In fact, my iPhone is a recording device. I'll record the conversation I have with the machinery co today and let you guys know what it picks up...
    Unfortunately, Washington is one of the 12 states that require all parties to a conversation to give consent to be recorded. (See http://www.rcfp.org/taping/)

However, in this situation, I would be tempted to take David's stance and if the judge cries foul, say "I don't care! I was ripped off!"

Talking Hey, Hey!

The other kicker I should mention is that I will NOT move this planer again. EVER. If they want to come out and replace it with a smaller/new planer or have Powermatic come out and do repair work, that's fine with me. I will never lift this planer again. Did I mention that I don't plan on moving it myself?
    Well, well, well. They pulled through. After a chat with the owner and the recording device surreptitiously held in my pocket, they reiterated everything they said. It was covered by a full warranty, no issues there, and they would "take care of me."

What they've agreed to with no hesitation is to give me my money back. I had paid $1500 for it, so they'll give me my money back, and were so cheerful about it, no questions, I have few issues spending money there again.

So, turns out this may all be for naught. They were simply great. They apologized for the inconvenience of my having to get the thing BACK to them, but agreed that it sounds like it was more damaged than they realized, and would take it back without hesitation.

Anyhow, thanks for all the great advice. I read it all carefully and was calm and collected and prepared to do battle when I walked in. They immediately brought the owner into it, he agreed to everything that had been said, and offered me all my money. So, turned out (aside from the fact that I now have to decide what to get AND have to decide how to get it back to them) pretty good - better than I'd hoped for in the whole scheme of things.

Thanks TONS for all of your advice, guys. It was exactly what I needed.

Anyone have any recommendations for a SMALLER planer? I was tempted to have another look at that Jet J/P combo to free up more room in the shop...

Glad everything got worked out, Nathan.

For a different planer, I've been very pleased by my General 480, but they're expensive if you buy them new.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

You now need some advice in hopes of beating that 24 hours it took you to lug that boat anchor (because that is what it is now) into your shop!!

I'm glad the local shop came through for you. There are good people and good business folk out there...give them a chance.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Don't let this sour you on the Powermatic 209 as I have one and it r runs great. Just suck it up and buy it new.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

Nathan, it is a good that everything worked out.
    I have Jet J/P combo for a 5-6 month now and really like it. Well built machine without any trouble.
    Last edited by Eduard Nemirovsky; 06-17-2008 at 6:33 PM. Reason: misspeling

I have had good luck in small claims court.

Craig

I'd be careful about taping recordings - ESPECIALLY if it's on a phone. Secretly taping phone calls is called wiretapping, and as I understand it, it's a federal offense. In general, taping a conversation without the other party's consent illegal.

There was a case here last year where a motorist recorded the conversation when he was pulled over by a state trooper. although there was 'relevance' to what was recorded, the individual was still found guilty of violating the 'consent' law.

Glad it worked out.

Well, well, well. They pulled through. <snip>
    Anyone have any recommendations for a SMALLER planer? I was tempted to have another look at that Jet J/P combo to free up more room in the shop...
    I'm glad they came through for You. Having less faith in my fellow man than I should I wonder if they became aware of this thread and decided that "doing the right thing" was indeed the right thing. The Jet J/P is not a bad machine. I've had one for quite a while but haven't used it much. No noticeable snipe in planing mode, the aluminum fence seems to work fine, and face jointing stock up to 6' seems fine. Longer than 6' it might be nice to have extended supports. The only problem I had was with dust/chip collection. Flipping the hood with vacuum on it keeps my deflector door from changing positions. Jet sent me a new hood thinking the original was defective. It wasn't but simply removing suction when switching from jointing or planing or reaching into the hood (power OFF) and flipping the door fixed that problem and dust/chip collection is fine.

That's great news - I'm glad it worked out for you.

fwiw, I'd help you move it and I work for beer but I don't "commute" to WA....

Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction and post here. I spent a large sum for a new PM planer based on recommendations on this site...PM had a 5 year warranty and I still had issues with a new BS from Griz. Hope they are not wrong.......but this site being more reputable than most....this still is the internet so buyer beware .

Awesome, sometimes folks will surprise you and do the right thing. The fact they did, I think you at least owe them them a chance for your business. Even though they did you worng early, they pulled through in the end.

Last year I ordered 30 windows from HD with a price tag over $10k, along with the additional $3k plus in supplies to install them. I had numerous issues, between them screwing up my order and the manufactures poor shipping materials I had issues with half of them. I spent way too much time jacking around, in the end they made it right by getting me the correct items and making sure I had some discounts. They did try and get me to take less than what I felt was right, but in the end they came to a point I was happy.

I continue to shop there, now if I was not taken care of in the end I would have left. I've had other instances where stores have had the opportunity to do the right thing, the ones that have still get my business the ones that didn't, don't. In most cases they have either made it up in my business or lost far more than what it would have cost them to make me happy.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Small claims court. It's maximum is only 1500 here and I had a suit that should have been 4300...but I settled for the 1500 just to be done with the nonsense. It was over a landlord not returning my deposit to me. In court after presently my case and plea for the 1500, the landlord made up fib after fib...none substantiated. I listened calmly as he and daughter tried to get the 1500 max lowered to $600.
    As the judge asked me if I had any response to their claims, I presented tit for tat in a very calm and collected voice and with all the pics I needed to support my side. I then quoted to statutes of the state law regarding holding back fees and the landord made his first real mistake. He said "Your honor we do not have Mr Lucases papers so cant possibly respond at this time. I objected saying that they were in the published statutes and should be well known by all landlords other than a "slum landlord." The landlord objected to my use of the term. I said "If the shoe fits,..." The judge quieted the court and then said, Mr Lucas do you have anything more. I suggested that the landlord is pretending to have no legal understanding of the statute and yet he had 21 rental properties and has had them for years. " The landlord said "Mr Lucas deserves an A for looking up the statutes your honor but we are just landlords and not schooled on law." I said "Your honor, for the record, he is an attorny and his daughter graduated from a law school but didnt complate the bar."
    The very pretty judge said is that true Mr. P. He said, I cant imagine where he gets his facts, your honor" She looked at me and said in most serious voice, "Yes Mr Lucas, where did you get this idea/" I said "Your honor, this is a pamphlet developed by him to announce his Inventors Patent Course. On the back he claims being an attorny with many years of patent law." She got the pamphlet and read with interest and he admitted such a promotion but that..." he didnt get a chance to finish. She said to me, Mr L, I wish this were in a higher court. We cant do justice to this case. But $1500 for Mr Lucas and it will be due here at the end of this court, which is another hour or two. Mr P said, that it was unfair, but that it could be pressented by close of day tomorrow. She said "So be it, but until that cash is presented, your daughter will stay with us as a "law clerk in training." He paid cash in 5 minutes. He had it on him the whole time.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos