Thread: Introduction and first completed project

Introduction and first completed project

Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while now on this great site. I've posted a few times, but I've never properly introduced myself. I'm a software engineer in the N. Cal Bay Area, 40 years old and married with a little 2 year old son. I've been building up my shop over the past year or so in 'my' half of a 2 car garage, accumulating equipment and mostly building shop necessities. I reached the point where all the necessities were finally out of the way, and now I have completed my first real project. It's a little table and chairs for my son, built from solid ash, all M&T joinery, and finished with three coats of Zinsser's wipe-on shellac. Incidentally, this project was inspired by another creeker who posted a few months ago with a similar table and chairs he built for his little son. Thanks to him and all the rest of you for making this site such a great source of information.

Best regards,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve, first of all, welcome to SMC. The bullfrogs and tadpoles don't nibble your toes too badly.

It looks as if your son alredy loves his table and chairs, and with the care you took in building them, they look as if they will last long enough for his grandchildren to use. What a nice heirloom! They are really nice--almost too nice for 2-year-old to use!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Wow! Very nice first project! Feels good to see something you made actually work the way you want it to. Welcome aboard.

Thumbs up Cool!

Great job, Steve! What a cool project!

Whoa -

Stephen Ash

Solid Ash

Thats Spooky!

Welcome

Table looks great. Kid looks happy. Has mom put in a request for full sized table yet??