Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 1/2" angle grinder preferences?

"I have used several different grinders and never seen or heard of a clutch on a grinder. What brand did you see that on?"

I have the 5" Metabo (WB11-125). It has a brake that stops the wheel quickly and a clutch that helps prevent a kickback if the wheel pinches. I think most of the Metabos and some of the Hiltis have the clutch now. I have used a lot of small grinders and this is the best by far.

Dan

It depends on how much you'll use it (imho) I have a harbor freight model and it works for me. I use my occasionally and for $16 it is just fine. Now if I were to be using one day in and out then I would think about getting a more expensive one. they are handy items though and I wouldn't be without one.

ds

I purchased a 6154-20 12amp Milwaukee 4.5 magnum. Love it. Great grinder. Should be my last small one I bet. I also own a 9" Bosch grinder I inherited and WOW that is a monster. Usually just grab the Milwaukee.

Also bought a Chicago Pneumatic 120 degree die grinder for some close quarter detail grinding and polishing. Sweet combo with it and the Milwaukee and Bosch. Depending on the cutter and grinder wheel sizes needed, a pneumatic die grinder might be exactly what you need - for carving and small cutting it would rock. Lots of sweet accessories in the 1/4" spindle class. And the CP I bought is infinitly speed adjustable all the way to a top end of 22,000 rpm.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-18-2008 at 8:00 AM.

Interesting, First let me say that if you buy a Metabo, not only will you never regret it, you will never even ponder if you regret getting it. That said I have a Dewalt and I am happy with it (I don't remember the model 3 but it has the metal housing in the front). It is the one tool that I do not prefer Milwaukee. Also, I prefer a lock switch over a trigger on a 4-1/2 because I am often having to change my manner of holding the tool to get to where I need. I do prefer the trigger on the larger grinders since they are heavy enough to require basically one grip to operate. I have not had the best results with the 4" Makita and I did not like the paddle trigger on the Milwaukee.

thanks a bunch everyone, especially for the safety tips and ideas on what to look for. I'll stop at a couple of stores and see what feels good. When I used to work on a fishing boat in Massachusetts we used larger 7" models that could really take off a lot of material but I feel I don't need anything that big now.
    Thanks again,
    Ben

If you are going to be doing some sculpting using the Kutzall wheels be careful because the wheels wouldn't fit the Dewalt I had due to the bore hole size. So I bought a Bosch and it fits fine.
    A paddle switch is a good idea.

I had a Makita which was stolen one night when the garage door was left open. I replaced it with a Hitachi. The Hitachi has more power and costs less.

I also ran a commercial remodel job for a friend of mine last fall and he had a bunch of HF angle grinders on the site. I will probably replace the Hitachi with two of those if it ever dies or disappears.

AZCRAIG

Metabo. When I was looking for welding gear the grinder of choice at all of the welding supply stores I visited was Metabo. I figured they know what they're doing with metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Dahl View Post
    I am looking to get a small angle grinder and my research has narrowed it down to Bosch, Makita or maybe a Dewalt. I will use it for some grinding but also maybe some woodcarving/sculpting. Also some occasional tile cutting. Any preferences or suggestions? Would a 7-8 amp model be sufficient? Those seem pretty reasonably priced from what I have found.
    Thanks,
    Ben
    Milwaukee still offers replacement parts for power tools that I purchased from them 20 years ago. They offer 13 differant models of 4.5 to 6 inch grinders.The Borg's are not a good choice if you want premium tools...but great if you want cheap and disposable.

Wood carving??? I suggest this one . Why would anyone pay for the features found in a router but not expect the same in a GRINDER used for wood?

"The 6154-20 Super Mag 4-1/2 inch 12 amp grinder offers extra heavy duty grinding capability in a compact body grip ergonomic design. This tool offers variable speed control 4000-11,000 RPM allowing the operator more control. Electronic feedback maintains speed and torque under load conditions. The power to weight ratio makes it perfect for those extra heavy duty confined area grinding projects. An integrated Lock-Off button is featured in the paddle switch. It also features a Lock-On button for continuous use applications. The tool is double insulated (two prong cord) and incorporates the industry standard 5/8-11 threaded arbor. It also has spiral bevel gears for optimum transmission of torque to the work piece. The comfortable body grip style is easy to hold onto, and in conjunction with the supplied side handle, allows for maximum operator control. The side handle can be attached in three locations. The wheel guard can be moved around the spindle (without the use of tools) for greatest operator protection. Sold as a grinder with guard, this tool can be used as a sander when a 4-1/2 inch backing pad and disc are attached. "
    ps...quick-lock cords up to 25 feet long and are interchangeable with other Milwaukee quick lock cord tools. (Extension cords are a pain )
    Last edited by Steven Hardy; 06-18-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

I'd vote for the HF, they're almost, but not quite, junk. They do last pretty well and you can buy several of them for the price of one decent one. I often have three of them when I work with metal. One for cutting, one for grinding, and one with a brush.

"The Borg's are not a good choice if you want premium tools...but great if you want cheap and disposable"

The Borgs actually carry plenty of premium tools if you actually know what a premium tools is. The Makita scms or the Bosch Jigsaw are hardly cheap disposable tools. The Borgs carry many Bosch, makita and Milwakee products that are "premium". A certain Borg also carries the full line of Hiliti tools which are superior in every way to the american/china competition aka Dewalt Rigid PC etc...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by William Addison View Post
    I'd vote for the HF, they're almost, but not quite, junk. They do last pretty well and you can buy several of them for the price of one decent one. I often have three of them when I work with metal. One for cutting, one for grinding, and one with a brush.
    Same here. I don't think you can go wrong on the HF 4-1/2" grinder on sale for maybe $15. I've beaten the daylights out of mine and I'm still on the first set of brushes (they send you an extra set with it).

I find the Milwaukee is very comfortable to use for extended grinding -- e.g., grinding concrete joints flush -- as well as cutting steel, concrete, and stone. It has a long, feather-touch switch that is comfortable and easy to hold without locking (though it does have a lock).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Same here. I don't think you can go wrong on the HF 4-1/2" grinder on sale for maybe $15. I've beaten the daylights out of mine and I'm still on the first set of brushes (they send you an extra set with it).
    I have a couple of the HF grinders and I have found that first thing you do is throw away the grinding wheel that came with it. Second, throw away the grinder that came with it. I just could not handle the vibration and rough feel that the grinders gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    grinding concrete joints flush -- as well as cutting steel, concrete, and stone
    That's the thing...if you're doing stuff like that, you're going to get vibration, period.

You're also going to trash the tool in pretty short order, due to all the rock dust, cement, etc., that gets into the works.

IMHO, the designer nametag ain't worth the extra $50 or $100 you're going to pay for the NameBrand® over the China Freight version, especially when either way the tool is going to go into the trash inside of a year. It's kinda like buying a $2300 cabinet saw when you don't know a rabbet from a frog -- a waste of $.

So far, my "piece of junk" China Freight has outlasted two DeWalts that cost 3X to 5X the price of the China Freight.

So now I just spray-paint my HF grinders yellow or red and still feel cool.