Thread: Classes at Woodcraft stores?

Classes at Woodcraft stores?

I recently celebrated a birthday on which my wonderful wife gave me a gift certificate to the local Woodcraft store. She pointedly also included a listing of classes they offer! Circled in red were the listings for the basic bowl turning classes scheduled over the summer months! My question is about the quality of the instruction and value of these classes. Any general input would be appreciated Should any of you woodturners around Louisville or Lexington, Kentucky have first hand knowledge your information would definately be of value to me.

Thanks in advance, KyJoe

classes at Woodcraft

Of course, any class that isnt given by a well known turner will have its shortcomings, but hey, you are just beginning in woodturning. This wont be the first time you will have to 're-learn' a technique in turning or sharpening. I say, go for it and learn all you can.You have a very thoughtful wife there, so keep her.

I just took that class!

About 3 weeks ago. It was taught be a local turner who was very patient and informative. He took time to answer questions about sharpening, the different bowl gouges and sealing green wood. The class was limited to only 3 students and lasted about 4 hours, during which we were able to almost complete a single bowl (each). The instructor also gave each of us an additional blank to take home, and his home phone and email address.

I don't know if all the instructors will take the time that mine did to cover as much or be so generous with their personal information, but I went into the class to learn some basic techniques that I hadn't been able to figure out on my own, and I walked away with much more than I hoped to get.

It all boils down to the instructor. A good turner is not necessarily a good teacher, communicator. You don't need a Formula One champion to teach your kid driver ed. I found the classes at Woodcraft is relatively short and sometimes emphasis too much on finishing and bringing a project home. You may end up with too much the instructor's last cut.

In Louisville area, you may also want to check out Choice Woods. They also have classes. I have heard good words about them.
    http://choice-woods.com/

You may also want to check out your local club.
    AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners
    They may have mentoring program as well.
    Gordon

My class was very very good, but then again i had Bill Grumbine as my instructor

You lucky guy. Nice gloat.

For those who are too far to travel to Allentown, PA to take Bill Grumbine's class. Your next best thing is his bowl turning DVD "Turned Bowl Made Easy".

I took his one day class when he came to our Club to do a demonstration. You will benefit more if you watched his DVD multiple times first. Even it was in a class setting, his teaching was targeted at each student's level. It was not a synchronized class, we each learn at our own level and pace. Highly recommended.
    Gordon

Blog Entries
    I took a woodturning class at Woodcraft last summer and really enjoyed it. The class was suppossed to be 2-8 hour days, but I was the only one that enrolled, so they knocked it down to 1-8 hour 1-on-1 session with the instructor and gave me a nice discount.

The St. Louis store was set up well for an into to wood turning class, but the instructor really made the class well worth the time and money. I was very new to wood turning, but after leaving the class, I felt very confident in my beginner abilities.

If I were in your situaiton, I'd definatley go for it. Enjoy.

The Peoria Illinois Woodcraft has a couple of very good woodturnimng instructors.
    I haven't taken any classes there, but I know the guys , and they are very good woodturners. Dick Coers and Bruce Shiverdecker.

All Woodcraft stores that I have been to have very knowledgable staff, they must treat them pretty good as I see they stay working there for a long time. ( I think they are all hooked on woodworking and work there for the employee discount.)

Jerry

woodcraft classes

i've taken 3 classes at the Norfolk, VA store and learned and enjoyed them all. even though i've been woodworking a few years, i took the woodworking fundamentals class and learned quite a bit. after that, since i was new to turning, i took 2 basic classes for what is my new, favorite form of woodworking. everything builds from the basics, and after learning woodworking 'out in the street' it's nice to have some instruction that is well thought out from an experienced individual. trying to keep a beginners mindset (ie, don't ignore the basics or get complacent about safety) is my goal - mike