Thread: Gloves for finishing

Gloves for finishing

OK, so this is driving me nuts. I'm using poly thinned with MS to wipe on. I had some latex gloves already on hand and began using them. After about 5 minutes and a few dips in the container to wring out my applicator (scrap of t-shirt) the gloves essentially disintegrate. I switched to some nitrile gloves after finding a chart on a box at the store that seemed to indicate latex might be less than optimal for finishing chores. The nitrile gloves held up longer, but after a 15 minute session they too seemed to disintegrate right as I went to take them off.

Is this just due to them being of questionable quality (orange BORG) or am I expecting too much and/or still using the wrong type of gloves? I did a quick google search, but just found endless msds sheets recommending the users of XYZ chemicals "wear appropriate gloves".

I've had mixed results with nitrile gloves. Some of the cheap ones I've bought have torn easily, though I don't think they've dissolved like latex does. On the other hand, I found a stack of heavy, high-quality disposable nitrile gloves in the garage a few months ago, and those are impervious to anything.

Back when I worked in a bio lab, we used purple nitrile gloves exclusively. Solvents, chemicals, radiation, bio-hazards... I don't know what brand we used, but they were pretty reliable. I think you're having an issue with cheap gloves, not an issue with nitrile as a material. I'd try a different brand next time. For now, try double-gloving. Hopefully that will give you enough protection.

Alternatively, you could get some gloves that aren't designed to be thrown away - the kind with a fabric inner and rubber coating. Stay away from latex, of course.
    Last edited by Steve Wylie; 06-18-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks, that was my hunch....cheap gloves, especially since nitrile gloves seem to be the glove of choice.

Ahh the BORG strikes again, I've already stopped buying so much there that pretty soon I'll be down to just buying furnace filters there. Of course pretty soon we'll probably find out those were made offshore with recycled asbestos that was processed in factory that also recycles lead pipes.

I think the prob is in yr technique. Don't dip. Dipping is always bad bkz it contaminates the can AND doesn't give you an even amount on yr rag.

Use a squeeze bottle. A plastic one like the kind ketchup comes in. Use only enough for a single session, since it'll slowly dry out.

Squeeze only a little on yr rag at a time and keep refreshing it on each swipe. I've found this technique to be so clean and efficient, I often don't need gloves at all; my fingers only get damp with finish/solvent and are easily wiped clean after. But if you don't require the 'touch', then regular latex works fine.

Thanks, I like the squeeze bottle idea, and I'll keep it in mind. However, I don't dip in the can. I mix up about 2 oz of MS and 2 oz of poly at a time in a leftover lunchmeat plastic container, yogurt container, etc. I don't like to waste product, and don't want to contaminate the source containers.

I became very meticulous about mixing, clean containers and not contaminating the source container when I built a kayak requiring a gallon or so of 2-part epoxy to be mixed for use in small batches.

Try the squeeze bottle. You'll be amazed.

Also, don't be a miser (like I was) and try to 'save' the rags. I find that the rags partially dry between sessions which makes it just hard enough to make it hard to remove swirls on the next session. Much better (IMHO) to cut yr rag into 2" squares, use once, and discard.

I've been buying boxes of 100 blue nitrile gloves at the local True Value and they've held up well. Usually I go through several finishing sessions before I tear one.

I've been using a package of the blue nitrile gloves for some time, but when they are gone, I'm going to try and find a better quality box. They aren't too bad, but rip in the fingers way too easily.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used the nitrile gloves for years w/o a problem. I buy the double layered ones. I also use them when I work on cars.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

I've been using PVC gloves for a short while now and haven't had the problems I did with nitrile or esp latex. These seem pretty durable. No particular brand name on them, but I think I bought them at an ACE hardware.

David