Thread: Oneida DC (older) anyone recognize it?

Oneida DC (older) anyone recognize it?

I am looking at an older Oneida DC that is on ebay. Seller doesn't know model number, but sez 8 yrs old and 1.5 hp. Link below. Anyone know what model; original price; or anything else about this type unit? Thoughts on value assuming in good workin order?

EBAY item number 140240127613

It's only 35 miles from me, and I am in the market for a DC for the beginner workshop I am putting together in my garage.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-18-2008 at 7:57 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to auction...prohibited at SMC

Go ask Oneida (or check their web site) for information on the 1.5HP internal filter cyclone. It's not a bad machine and IIRC they had an upgrade kit to use an external filter (very good idea). You might want to PM Jim Becker (or he'll chime in) as IIRC he use to have one. Pretty good value for $150. It's still a fairly small cyclone and isn't in the same class as Oneida's 2HP and 3HP models, but if your requirements are modest it can work well.

Had one

This is their 1.5 HP unit with the internal filter. Mine worked fine in my old home workshop. I sold the house to my daughter, and her husband is now using it.

It worked well. I thought it was louder than it should be, and I cleaned the filter one time, and didn't put it back in. I ran the outfeed to the outside of the shop. It worked fine this way, and I never saw more than a trace of sawdust outside where my truck was parked next to it. I left the filter out because it was too difficult to take out and clean for a gimp with a bad back and no rotator cuff.

Suprisingly, it was no quieter when ducted to the outside.

If you can score a good deal, I would not be afraid to get it. My longest run was about 20' and I had a RAS, TS, shaper, and planer hooked to it.

I got mine about 10 years ago, and I think it cost about $800 to my door.

One caveat: They told me the one thing they did not recommend using with it was a drum sander. It would work ok, but the internal filter would get clogged sooner because of the quantity of fine dust.

Rick Potter

PS: I am installing an Onieda in my new shop now, so I guess you could call me a satisfied customer.

That's the "original" 1.5hp cyclone system and I had one as my first Oneida system (still in use in another 'Creeker's shop. You'll want to retrofit to external filters, but it's a decent system for a small shop. It is not adequate, however, if you have any larger tools, just a wide J/P combo machines...one of the reasons I upgraded.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I sent you a PM about your definition of "larger tools"; not sure if I have what you mean.

Thanks,

John

I meant larger stationary machines, such as the 14" wide jointer/planer I currently use or a shop that requires a long duct work setup. This machine was truly developed for a small shop setup. It will work well within its capabilities and is of high quality. Current versions have many, many design improvements, but also cost a lot more than the one you are considering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...