Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washer and dryer platform suggestions needed

Washer and dryer platform suggestions needed

Mod’s: If this should go in another forum please feel free to move as you see fit.

A few months ago my wife and I replaced our 15 yr old washer and dryer. We went with the front load washer and have been having vibration issues since. During the spin cycle it shakes the floors in the adjoining. The final straw was when the toilet in the room next door began leaking and when I fixed it I realized the wax ring had failed which I’m attributing to the shaking.

The units are currently stacked which I’ll be changing per the suggestion of the GE service technician. When I do this I want to build a platform to set them both on rather than spend the $400 GE wants for their platforms.

When I mentioned building the platform to the GE technician he stated you can’t make them out of wood because it will eventually fail due to the shaking. I come from the school of thought that anything can be built to last. My plan is to build a 2x4 frame with half lap joints which will be glued and screwed, then skin the whole stand with 3/4” cabinet grade plywood. This stand will sit on rubber feet and the washer and dryer will be bolted to the top.

Does this sound sufficient to those with more experience? I’m also wondering if everyone thinks I’m wasting my time. The goal is to isolate the washer from the floor as much as possible.

Thanks,
    Wes

P.S. We’re a family of five so moving the washer to the basement isn’t an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    When I mentioned building the platform to the GE technician he stated you can’t make them out of wood because it will eventually fail due to the shaking.
    My two reactions to his statement:
    1. What the heck does he think your house is built out of?
    2. If it's shaking that much, I think I'd be discussing "refund" with the GE folks.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Wes,

If it shakes that badly that you can't use a platform of wood, somethings wrong with their machine. 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 lumber should be very adequate and surfacing it with 3/4" plywood should be very adequate. Screws rather than nails should work very well.

I built a very simple platform for my washer and dryer. I used 2X12X1 solid pine reinforced in the corners by 2X4's. I covered the top with the same 2X12X1. I did not put a drawer in the platform because I raised the washer and dryer up so My wife or myself would not have to bend down to do the the laundry. I did not bolt my units to the platform. I did use a forstner bit and drilled a 1/4 inch recessed whole so the rubber feet on the units would set down in them. This keeps the units from crawing on the platform. They have worked very well for me. I would agree with other coments that your units seem to have more vibration than should be expected. If it vibrates the toilet enough to have to replace the gasket you might want to put a warning sign on your toilet DO NOT USE WHILE WASHING MACHINE IS IN USE.

We have a stacked laundry set in a closet off the kitchen (basic Frigidaire units), adjacent to a bath. The only time we get signficant vibration is when a load of jeans is being run, and that seems to be momentary during the run up or run down of the spin cycle. Most of the time, I don't even know they are running.

I agree with Bob's comment: if the vibration is bad enought to cause the wax ring to fail, something must be wrong with the machine. I would consider asking for a refund, or a significant credit from the dealer toward machines that don't vibrate as badly.

Framing lumber and plywood should be fine. If you are concerned about the strength, you can use an adhesive at all the connections.

Wes,
    My mother had a stackable washer/dryer years ago that vibrated badly. The solution was to remove some shipping tie downs that the installer forgot to remove. You might want to take a look at the owners manual and see if your machine has any and that they are not there anymore. I think they tied the tub support to the frame of the machine to keep the tub from moving freely during shipment. Once the bolts were removed the tub support moved to absorb the vibrations like it was supposed to.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike DeHart; 06-19-2008 at 1:37 PM. Reason: added some clarity.

1) Yes you can build them out of wood and they will last just fine if you design things to handle the load.

2) Excessive vibration shouldn't be happening. There has only one load in our new LG SteamWasher that I can recall having more than acceptable vibration and that was when an already wet towel got stuck accidentally during the initial load balancing spins. Our unit also has a setting to reduce this kind of issue, too. If your washer was installed by the "pros" when you bought it, they may not have done some of the setup steps that hopefully keep vibration and balance issues to a minimum. Front loaders need a little more care in that respect to the best of my knowledge.

We do have the LG platforms because we wanted the storage and the matching cherry red color. But that meant building a short wood platform to raise them so that the drawer would clear the leak pan under the washer. It's just 3/4" plywood with a 3/4" plywood frame and intermediate supports. You can see the setup in the attached. Note that under the washer, the metal pan is painted black and there are 3" side strips built up to raise the washer to 2" above the floor. The corresponding wood platform under the dryer raises it accordingly.

washer-dryer-platform.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have an LG unit and when doing heavy cottons it vibrates bad initially. I did the install myself. Leveling front to back and corners to corners. Dead level. Checked it again after it vibrated. And yes the shipping bolts were removed before I slid it in. It only occurs with real heavy loads of cottons. And only during the beginning of the last spin.

I attribute part of it to the floor joists. They are near max span limits for their size. So the floor has a little give to it. I am not too worried about it. Eventually we are going to move the laundry area upstairs. And when I do, I will have the opportunity to install a better floor structure for the laundry (currently on 1st floor).

Thanks for responses

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

The units were installed professionally and I've checked against the manual. It looks like they did everything correctly, removed shipping bolts and leveled front-to-back and side-to-side.

There are a couple of issues that I didn’t mention. I know our floor structure isn’t the best as the floor trusses are 24” on center. The other item is the units are currently stacked against the right hand side of the room which puts the washer door swinging the wrong direction and it isn’t interchangeable like the dryer. My hopes are the platform would help correct these two issues. The platform should help bridge the wide joist spans to better distribute the weight. In unstacking them it will also move the washer door to make access better.

If this doesn’t work I have every intention of raising a stink with GE.

Thanks,
    Wes

Wes, I purchased front loaders last spring and didnt want to spend the extra money for the bases so I built my own, I used 3/4" melamine and used my domino to for the joinery, I also reinforced the platform with 2x4's running the width and 1 centered with 2x4 uprights. I then installed 6 leveler legs and banded the exposed edges. The unit is pretty heavy but it works great, I leveled the platform to the floor and then the 2 units to the platform and have no vibration. The unit looks good and functions very nice. I know I spent less than 80 dollars in materials.

Hello Wes,

I think that the platform will certainly help, but I am not sure by how much. Stretching the load out over 2 trusses may not reduce vibration that much. Trying to isolate and absord the vibration will help. I agree with others that if there is a lot of vibration in the machine, then something may be wrong. However if your floor is natually "bouncy" then certainly the normal vibration of the washer can cause problems.

My washer and dryer are in the basement so looks were not important. I had planned to build a nice platform but the delivery guys showed up a couple of days early! While they were unloading I took some 2x12 scaps and a piece of plywood and slapped together a platform. I just used a framing nailer and adhesive and it took about 15 minutes. It has probably been 7 years and everything is holding up fine, no major vibrations and both the washer and dryer (side by side) stay put. I have never had one attempt to walk off the platform.

Chris

For washing machines, especially front loaders, level is defined by having 25% of the weight on each foot, and may not necesarilly agree with the tool by the same name. I got the best adjustment on mine by fine tuning the front feet to achieve the least vibration while it was on the high speed spin cycle, with a reasonable load in it. Mine are stacked, and the vibration is at an acceptable level (pun intended) when the feet are properly adjusted. If they're not, it'll dance across the floor.
    DESIGN is EVERYTHING! Without good design, the greatest craftsmanship is wasted. Not all great museum pieces are of the best craftsmanship. It was design that made them a treasure. -- Wallace Kunkel, aka Mr. Sawdust

"If it vibrates the toilet enough to have to replace the gasket you might want to put a warning sign on your toilet DO NOT USE WHILE WASHING MACHINE IS IN USE."

Good idea, But I would put the sign on the washing machine: "DO NOT USE WHILE TOILET IS IN USE"
    David DeCristoforo

WHOAAA.... Admittedly the washer causes a noticeable vibration

in the extra super spin cycle, but short of that these babies just hummmm. I would suggest you be sure you have exhausted the installation issues with GE - our vibration is negligible (potty and all ).

I'm sure you checked the prices, but in any event I thought the color matching and all that and proper installation were well worth the manuf. base. to me.

But the basic concern in my mind is that your amount of vibration is abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Mod’s: If this should go in another forum please feel free to move as you see fit.
    We have a laundry room on the second floor and our front loader vibrates badly with some loads. The washer is balanced if the contents are balanced but wet towels can line up in the tub any fashion, sometimes making the tub unbalanced. When this happens some of the cupboard doors rattle on the 3rd floor.

I fitted a set of rubber isolators in place of the feet and this helped a lot. The washer sometimes thrashes around quite a bit though and you need to make sure to have an inch or so of clearance each side of it.

The rubber isolators are 1 1/2 in long and 1 3/8 in dia. They have a threaded rod about 1in long at one end which screws in place of the adjustable feet. I bought them a few years ago in Princess Auto in Ottawa but have not seen them in the store since.

I read a discussion about this problem and it seems that North American the washers and dryers are designed assuming they will be on a concrete pad in the basement rather than on an upper floor. I wonder if a European washer might do better since basements are unusual over there.

Bryan