Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a nice surprise today

Blog Entries

Got a nice surprise today

Probably shouldn't even mention it but what the heck. As you can see in another thread, I have taken delivery of my new Jet cabinet saw. Part of the deal was that you would get a $100 rebate and also a nice pair of 31" Jet parallel clamps - similar to the Bessey style. I am still waiting on the rebate, but the clamps were sitting up against my garage today when I got home from work. I opened the carton to find two boxes. Ok, one clamp per box. Not! When I opened the first of two identical boxes, I found not one - but a pair of 31" clamps. I thought "I couldn't be that lucky could I?" I opened the second box and sure enough, there was another pair of 31" clamps. Nice bonus. Someone wasn't paying attention.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Good deal. A while back I ordered some Bessy K-bodies, four to be exact. 52" seemed long enough, and at that price 4 was all I could afford. What arrived was four 'Door Sets', which included 2 @52", 2@ 36", and four of those square stand off blocks per set! 16 K-Bodies with blocks for under $150! I probably should have called them to inform them of their error, but my phone was out of service and....oh heck, I just kept um.

He clamps...he scores!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That other box was mine justgive me your address and ill be over to collect them

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    He clamps...he scores!!

If he were European, he'd cramp ... sore!!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

6. Why don't you send the extras back? (on Jet's dime, of course)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Hochstetler View Post
    Why don't you send the extras back? (on Jet's dime, of course)
    Yeah, I'll give that some serious thought.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    Yeah, I'll give that some serious thought.

BWAHAHAHA!!!
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Do the right thing

OK, at the risk of sounding a bit like a throwback - I have to agree with Spencer. At least call the shipper and inform them of the mistake and give them the oppoortunity to make it right (they may decide to just gift you the clamps as a less-expensive alternative than paying for the return of what are now used items) Keeping them, and then going so far as to gloat about it, seems a bit dishonest to me. Sure it's THEIR mistake, but your response is YOUR choice. I wouldn't want a pair of clamps hanging in my shop that I felt even slightly guilty about using. (as in "a pair of cramps that had been crimped" for those Britishers out there.) Do the right thing and call the manufacturer.
    As for those of you cheering him on - I'm not sure I'd want to engage in a business transaction with you. Whatever happened to integrity in our dealings with others?

Dave

I'm with Spencer here.

If you had been shipped only one box that contained only one clamp you would be complaining about the reseller and wanting the additional clamp.

Mistakes occur, I make more than enough. But why is it acceptable to profit from someone else's mistake?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Chilenski; 06-20-2008 at 10:50 AM.

How dare we???

We beat down our suppliers for the very best price.

We want instant delivery, and we want absolutely the very best in quality, appearance, and performance.

We want the best deal on the block so that we can "gloat" on SMC to our buddies.

And then, when the supplier screws up and sends us extra, we want to keep it...again gloating that we got a great deal, or that we are crooked.

Oh ya, and we expect the supplier's to stay in business forever in case we chip the paint on our pretty cabinet, or a belt goes out, or heaven forbid, the fence might drag a little....but don't you suppliers go making any money on us!!!!

I realize I won't be missed around here, heck, my post count is pretty low anyway...but between the dishonesty that is proudly displayed here, the pettiness, the display of ego's, the lack of real woodworking, the laziness on the part of many to do even the most basic of research on their own.....

I'm almost feeling it a blessing that Sprint is going to change my connection contract and that I'm going to cancel them with no viable alternative....I've been spending far to much time on the net anyway....

Ya, keep those clamps, what's a few bucks to our suppliers???? Check them close, maybe the paint is chipped and you can get them to exchange them....

A different take, if I may.

Okay, I know that many won't agree with my logic, but here it goes anyways. I am laid up on crutches, so I thought what the heck, I'd respond with my take. I am not saying that I am right, it is just another opinion based off my personal experiences. Fair enough?

With all due respect Doug, and I am not being sarcastic or rude when I say this, but your statement about the "lack of real woodworking" is really not fair. There are some extremely talented and giving woodworkers on this site and I am sure you are well aware of that.

As far as not agreeing with Fred, I won't argue your points friend, you are entitled to them, and rightly so. Heck, your post total is more than mine.

Still, whether you or I agree with Fred or not, think about it like this. It may not be right to keep them regardless, but sometimes in life we get screwed over and then when we finally get something a little extra thrown our way we maybe justify it as a positive payback, a good karma type of thing for a previous screwover?

I can tell you for sure that I would have called Jet and told them, but that doesn't make me better, it's just me. It also doesn't bother me that Fred shared the fact that he got an extra box with 2 more clamps in it. When it's a major company versus a one on one transaction with only 2 people involved, I think that there is a mental difference in the willingness to accept something.

I didn't say that it made it right, nor did I imply it. I am saying that it is easier for someone to accept/justify, versus a one on one thing because in the long run, it won't really hurt Jet at all and you know that as well as I. There is a thing called inventory and with that is a thing called shrinkage.

I gaurantee you that somewhere along the way, more than one person was overcharged by Jet or Jet didn't do someone fairly and I don't think any Jet employees lost any sleep over that. I will also say that Jet has never done me wrong and the only problem that I ever had, they took care of. Oh it took awhile, but they did the right thing and I was the only one who lost anything, with MAJOR phone time involved and driving here and there. But my friend, that is part of business and returning a defective item, which I knew that when I made the purchase. Returning things are rarely painless.

When we sold our first van about 8 years back, I forgot to put the cargo mesh cage thingy back in the van. I found it on a shelf in the garage the next day and immediately called the guy up and drove to his house (a half hour away) to give it to him. That's me. He didn't know it even exsisted, but I did and I felt better that he had it and not me. Throwing it away would have been wrong.

Anyways, I hope you keep your connection and stay on the Creek, but I do believe you must have been having a bad day when you made your post, because there are some really giving guys on this board and they are real woodworkers.

I can personally say that I have never displayed my ego on this board and if I have, I apologize to you. After meeting David Marks and seeing his work up close, I know that I am a hack on my best day, but hey, I am an improving hack and that's good enough for me.

Please lighten up friend, Fred didn't rob a bank or steal something from a store and I bet he has more integrity than you or I believe. He was probably just a little excited to get something extra, maybe for once in his life. No biggie!

David

p.s. For what it's worth, I don't beat down my suppliers on prices and I don't want instant delivery. I am not rich either. Heck, I just waited 6 weeks for a backorder on a 12/3 cord reel from Grizzly. The price is the price and when it arrives, it arrives. Living life that way keeps one's blood pressure down.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Thumbs up

Yeah -
    Thats pretty sweet but check this out.

First of all when I got my PM2000 - same thing 2 pair of clamps. So I think they might just throw them in on purpose.

Now for the real Sweetness -

When I oredered my Incra LS positioner from Amazon, I opened the box and said "NO Way" "Can't Be" "They didn't send me"-----I opened the box(s)----------

2 of em!!!!!

Yeah Baby!
    Last edited by Matt Ocel; 06-20-2008 at 4:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones from Oregon View Post

the lack of real woodworking,

Based on that comment, and the tone in which you decided to deliver your thoughts, I say good riddance.

...ridiculous statement...

- Keith
    Last edited by Keith Starosta; 06-20-2008 at 3:42 PM. Reason: Continuation of thought
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    Probably shouldn't even mention it but
    You got that right! Just for the record Fred I'd keep them too! I guess that makes me a bad person, but I hate standing in line at the post office and you never have enough clamps!
    Last edited by Kurt Rosenzweig; 06-20-2008 at 4:45 PM.