Thread: Cost for adding 220 1ph to my shop? Estimates please!!!!

Blog Entries

Question Cost for adding 220 1ph to my shop? Estimates please!!!!

Hi all,

I want to run 220v to my shop area (garage bays). I have an electrical contractor (retired) as a neighbor who will do the hookup free if I run the line.

I will need:

breaker
    100 foot of Nomex 12/4
    70 ft of conduit
    4 junction boxes
    misc connectors (probably already have them)

I want to keep this as cheap as possible. I have the option of going with individual wires instead of nomex for the part of the line that'll be in conduit, right? Would that save a good amount?

What do you think my total cost should be- estimates- ???

I want to wrap my mind around a number before I go so I don't scare myself out of doing it.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

I don't know, maybe it is just me....but, if I wanted a quote on the electrical list that you just provided, I'd be heading for the borg, electrical supply house...not a bunch of armchair totin woodworkers that could for the most part do nothing but guess!

I noticed in my latest ad from the Borg that pricing on wire is adjusted daily now based on the market value....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    ...100 foot of Nomex 12/4
    As Doug said, your best bet for a cost estimate is a few minutes checking the shelf prices at your favorite electrical supply house, be it a borg or otherwise.

You don't need 4 conductor cable for a single phase circuit. You don't even need 3 conductor cable unless you're running a dual voltage circuit. For a straight 220 circuit, 12/2 with ground is what you want.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Greg, your electrical contractor neighbor should tell you what you need to get. For example; what size breaker? What size wiring? What size conduit? In your area are homeowners allowed to do their own electrical work? Do you need to pull a permit? What are the permit fees? Are you pulling one circuit or do you want to put in a subpanel? It sounds like you're putting in one 20A 220V circuit. If so then you only need to run three wires (i.e. 12/2 w/ground romex or three individual wires in conduit). I would go with a subpanel 40A or better, gives you room to run multiple 220V machines.

Since you are probably going to have a sub-panel in the garage, you will probably will want to run several 120 voly circuits, too.

Therefore, you will want a 3 conductor/ with Ground ROMEX (If you are going to run from the house to the garage in conduit, which should be PVC for undergroung applications, otherwise URD for direct burial, or aluminum arial for overhead installation.) of a large enough size to be protected by the breaker in your main panel and the load in the garage.

The #12 will only safetly carry 20 amps.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 06-20-2008 at 3:15 PM.
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Greg,

If you're already 100' out, #12 won't do.

What size panelboard do you want to put in? 60 amp/240v?

That's the first question you have to answer.

FYI, it's "Romex" and that's a brand name, sort of like Kleenex is a brand of facial tissue. The term applied to the various brands of the stuff you're talking about is "Non Metallic Cable", or NM-C.

If you have to run conduit, pulling NM-C may not make sense - plus it could increase the size of the conduit you have to run.

= = = = = = = = = = = = ==

It would help if you describe the problem you're trying to solve (i.e., what power you want to run, from where, to where).

Rob

Blog Entries
    WOW- you guys really get carried away, don't you?????

I am not adding a subpanel.
    I do not need more 120v lines in the garage- it has plenty already.

I just am running 220v from the subpanel (already exists) in the basement to the garage. That's it. One line.

It is so I can convert my TS to 220v (I just want to) and get it off the line that runs my Dust collector. I am kicking out the breaker occasionally.

Thanks guys!!!
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 06-20-2008 at 3:40 PM.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Agree with everything Rob said. To clarify, I've seen NMC defined as Non Metallic Conduit. Typically non metallic flex cable (like Southwire's "Romex") is type NM-B. No such thing as NM-C that I know of.

Rob's correct for a 100' run for 240V @ 20A you will need 10AWG (copper) vice 12AWG. Or for 30A circuit (240V), 8 AWG copper or 6 AWG aluminum. Yes, I'd run std THHN building wire in conduit vice NM-B. If you have to run both types of wire, you'll need PVC or metal junction boxes at each end for the transition.

As stated, one each of black and red, one green for EGC, no white required. Good luck

If you're running the new line in conduit you can use THHN or romex. But I believe you may find the individual wires cheaper than the romex (since you're running the conduit). Romex is half requirement (when not using conduit) and half convienence (all-in-one). And of course, you pay extra for convienence.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    WOW- you guys really get carried away, don't you?????

I am not adding a subpanel.
    I do not need more 120v lines in the garage- it has plenty already.
    A shop without a subpanel? Heresy!

How many amps does your saw pull at 110 and at 220?

Chaser