Thread: Proper steps for finishing drawers

Proper steps for finishing drawers

Folks,
    What are the steps in finishing the drawers? I have all the boxes and false fronts completed - the false fronts are not attached yet though.

Should I first spray the false fronts and then a screw them into the boxes and attach the handle pulls?
    Do the boxes themselves need to be finished or can be left as is?

Finishing the boxes is a personal decision. If you choose to do so, use shellac, lacquer or a water borne finish...nothing oil-based. The latter will cause you "smell" problems indefinitely.

False fronts are generally finished "off the piece". When you attach your pulls depends upon how long the fastener is. I generally put them on first for that reason since the stock bolts are usually too short to pass through the false front AND the drawer box.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Alex,

Typically when I have false fronts on drawers, I will completely assemble them and drill my holes for the drawer pulls to make sure everything fits together correctly and to minimize handling after the finishing process. This also includes pre-drilling some holes that will be used to screw the false front to the drawer itself.

After all this, I remove the false front and apply stain and finish to the pieces separatly. Applying stain and finish to the actual box part of the drawer is optional and in my opinion is your own preference. I have seen it done both ways. Keep in mind, not staining and finishing the box part of the drawer can save time and a good deal of money for the cost of materials. If its a small project like a night stand or something, then its probably not a big deal to put a finish on the drawers and the fronts. If its a set of kitchen cabinets, thats a different story. A lot more time and expense involved.

If you decide not to put a finish on the drawer box itself, its better to remove the drawer front and work with it by itself. Its easier to handle and work with. You dont have to worry about getting stain on an area of the drawer you dont want it. You also dont have to worry about over spray if you are spraying the finish.

Blog Entries
    I leave drawer bodies unfinished unless they are in a small bathroom or out in the shop. I finish my false fronts before attaching. HTH.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Applied fronts should be

finished seperately of the drawer box. Ideally you would want to apply your sealer coat to all surfaces of the drawer front, including the back to avoid cupping later on.
    I always finish/seal (no stain) the drawer boxes, inside and out, no matter how many there are. Drawers left unfinished tend to become dirty with use and I find this a poor reflection on the craftsmans workmanship. The additional cost is negligible and hardly worth consideration.

Ed