Thread: Product Idea #8009

Product Idea #8009

I found this add on craigslist and thought it was a simple yet interesting idea. I know that these bands are popular among youth for a large number of uses. I just thought I would share it.

"Kids safety bands are silicone rubber wristbands designed for children from ages 2 to 8. The Orange bands come in two sizes, Small (7in) and X-Small (6in). The front of the band will be laser-engraved with your child's initials or the phrase, "If found please call". The back of the band will have the parents/caregivers cell phone number(s). The idea is: If your child gets separated from you at the mall or the park, whoever finds them can contact you
    immediately.

** If your child has a medical condition or life threatening allergies, adding this information to the band could save their life.**

For more information: http://www.kidssafetybands.com "
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack

Will anybody hazard a guess as to the settings for this type of thing (silicone) ?

just curious, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I've read on here that those aren't laserable, at least not cleanly.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Nice idea, but it is generally not advisable to put personal info on the child. Even (non-coded) name tags in clothing are frowned upon. A stranger can address the child directly - by name - gaining a level of trust that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Calling the parent's cell phone can also serve to divert the parent's attention.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Nice idea, but it is generally not advisable to put personal info on the child. Even (non-coded) name tags in clothing are frowned upon. A stranger can address the child directly - by name - gaining a level of trust that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Calling the parent's cell phone can also serve to divert the parent's attention.
    I agree. I thought the idea of using a laser to create the bands in general was interesting, not specifically the aforementioned application.
    Jack

These bands have been around for quite some time and I think that they are actually reducing in the desireable for youngsters now and have probably seen their day. However I think that they could be useful for some elderly people who have a tendency to walk off from their nursing homes. I was a policeman for 30 years and the number of residents that we used to have 'handed in' at the station is astonishing. Finding out where they belonged was unbelievably difficult! These would have been perfect and might even be worth approaching nursing homes with that in mind. 2 penneth worth and probably only my 2 penneth worth. Now where did I leave my band
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Even when you're being serious, Frank, you're a hoot!

I live in a back woods kind of place where these bands are still very popular, but more with guys, believe it or not. People wear them to show support for various things, from soldiers units to cancer groups, to hunting clubs to scouting groups and so on. I thought the idea of labeling a kid with personal info was a bit dangerous if the wrong person got it/him/her, but there are a lot of older people who wander away from their homes and we are always hearing about a search being conducted. "Old-Timers" patients (as they call it) are more commonly kept by families than nursing homes here. You might be on to something there.

Would you treat silicone as rubber in the laser?
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

OK, Now I have ideas and need information.
    Has anyone figured out how to laser them cleanly?
    If yes, which brand/source.

I live in a retirement area, and could see this type of thing working here.

I have found that when lasering soft silicone, you get a 'terrific' flame, even with air assist.. Enough flame, that I had to space the objects well apart to keep the next one from scorching the previous one.. Silicone seems to engrave fairly crisp, it's just the flames that are a bit disconcerting
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

We have lasered thousands of these bands for different events without any issues. The key is to make a jig to hold the bands flat without stretching them, ours is made out of acrylic. We produce about 30 at a time. We also use the rubber stamp setting on our ULS driver which produces a better engrave. The finished result looks great. Power and speed need to be tested for each machine to produce the desired effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

I looked into this in the fall and I think a best bet is to approach a school or a bigger organization that will give orders for many bracelets....like maybe a fund raiser. I think once you get into making single individualized bracelets you aren't going to get your monies worth. Do a search on the net.....there are sooo many of these companies doing bracelets at a cheap price and I think it's because they can buy thousands at a time. I cannot afford to buy thousands at a time unless I had pre-orders..... just my two cents worth And I saw somewhere (maybe here?) someone posted jig ideas to hold them to be lasered

Doug

Neat logo!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

With the Jig set up We do a few at a time. The bands are so cheap you can easily compete. They laser quickly and set up is fast.

I will forward the name of the vendor if you PM me for where we purchase the bands.

Thanks Mike!
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Thanks for the info Doug.

I plan on getting some samples in.