Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chisel Purchase

"I say just buy the chisels of your choice. It is clear that you are just interested in using them. Most guys don't get this - we want to analyse things to death" ... Derek Cohen..

A very wise statement. I have a set of long handle Ashley Isles and a set of short handled Ashley Isles that you didn't care for. They both feel natural in my hand and I love them so one persons poison is perhaps another's cup of tea based on feel alone.

With that said.. I chopped out 50 tails and 50 pins for hand cut DT's just yesterday. What do I use for that rigorous but "must be precise" task. Well.... My 1/8".. 14/" and 3/8" Marple's Blue Beaters I purchased from Highland Hardware back in 1978. They get the job done for that task!

Good luck....

Sarge..

I want to again thank everyone for the advice that I have been given. I have decided to buy the LN chisels. I will buy 3 for now and then add on as the need arises. I am really grateful for this forum, this has truly been a great experience. For the past two days I have had the most wonderful experience of building a shaker candle box and a wall shelf using primary hand tools only. I attend a class at Homestead Heritage Woodworking School near Waco, Tx. I actually got to try true Marples chisels and Crown chisels. The Marbles worked o.k. when sharpened, but I felt they lost the edge to quickly. The Crowns fit nicely in my hand, but I was not impressed. Actually I liked the Marples better. If I could find Marples, not the stuff made in China I would get them for all purpose work. The experience that I had the past two days really made me realize that since my personality is to use the tools and not spend most of the day sharpening, I should buy the best I can afford. I can afford LN purchased a few at a time. The family and I will just not eat out as much.

By the way, if any of you guys can make it to Waco, Texas please, please, please try to take a class at Homestead Heritage Woodworking School. It was absolutely one of the best experiences that I have had in many years. I lucked out and had a two day private class with Paul Sellers. He is an awesome guy and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to woodworking. The whole environment was relaxing and enjoyable.
    Again thanks guys for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Yolanda Kirkland View Post
    ...By the way, if any of you guys can make it to Waco, Texas please, please, please try to take a class at Homestead Heritage Woodworking School. It was absolutely one of the best experiences that I have had in many years. I lucked out and had a two day private class with Paul Sellers. He is an awesome guy and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to woodworking. The whole environment was relaxing and enjoyable.
    Again thanks guys for all your help.
    Indeed, a great school if you're just starting out (they're great for more advanced woodworkers, too, but their insistence on starting with class 1 for all new students is a bit onerous). I took a couple of classes there (live in Austin), finishing and a tutorial on making a rocking chair (refused to relearn hand tools from scratch), excellent. I thought Paul had moved back to the UK.

Pam

Pam, the school was great since I am a beginner. This is where I learned that in the land of neanderthals, how important the chisel can be to the woodworker. I used the chisels so much it was unreal, hince I'm getting the best chisels I can afford. I think Paul did go back to England for a while, but he's back and I had a 2 day somewhat private lesson. I was sharing the workshop with the two-week rocking chair class. I also live in the Austin area and its nice to know you've been to the school. I plan on taking more classes in the future, I really liked the instruction that I received and I now believe that I can actually do this woodworking stuff with some amount of success. While the class was busy, it was really relaxing do the stuff by hand. The atmosphere also helped a lot also. The only bad thing about the place is you can spend some money buying the really nice items that they make by hand.

Hi Yolanda,

Nice thread here. Here's a nice little chisel summary from Bob Smalser on another site http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=13082

I've just put in an order for these as an alternative to LN's.

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett CoughlanAus View Post
    Hi Yolanda,

Nice thread here. Here's a nice little chisel summary from Bob Smalser on another site http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=13082
    It is also available here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13734

Thanks Jim, should have realised it would be here