Thread: Issues with my Powermatic Band saw

Issues with my Powermatic Band saw

Hi Folks,

I bought a new Powermatic 14" BS last December. I doubt I even have 2 hours total time on and now its out of commission until I get parts.

Last Weekend I lifted the Carter tension release arm to tension the blade prior to using, and bang, I got smacked right in the mouth. Gave me 2 bloody lips. The block that holds the tension release arm on, broke in half.

P6160003.JPG

I called customer service, they said they would send new parts. I have been using it without the release arm, and just tensioning and de-tensoning manually.

I had a 3/4" blade on there last weekend for resawing, but I de-tensioned the blade when I was done. Today I removed the 3/4" blade, put a 1/2" on, started to crank up the tension, got the scale up to 1/8" and the knob wouldn't turn anymore. Wont go either way. I was able to slip the blade off the wheels and pulled the top wheel and the tensioning mechanism out. The threads on the rod are all buggerd up and the nut is seized up. I had to hold the nut in a vise to get the threaded rod out.

P6220013.JPG

The only thing that I can figure, is that the threads on the rod failed under the tension of the 3/4" blade. It de-tensioned just fine, but some metal shavings must have fallen and stuck to the grease further down the rod. When I cranked the tension back up, these shavings must have clogged the threads of the nut.

Attachment 91171

Has anyone else had similar issues, or did I just get a couple of bad parts. Inquiring minds want to know!

I guess I'll be back on the phone with CS tomorrow. The saw is still under warranty, so hopefully they will replace the parts without a hassle.

Jonathan
    Last edited by jonathan snyder; 06-22-2008 at 10:19 PM.

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

2. I had the same bandsaw for about 2 years. It's a great saw, and for the record, Powermatic/WMH customer support was a complete pleasure to deal with.

I didn't have the issues you had--mine had something to do with the lower guides on the saw, and they just sent me new guides which fixed everything up.

I know the saw's specs say it can handle a 3/4" blade, but I wouldn't put one on there. I thought the frame and the tensioner had just enough tension for a 1/2" blade, but felt it was pretty maxed out at that point. Others' experience may be different. When I sold the saw, I sold it with a 3/4" timberwolf blade that I never took out of the package.

For what it's worth, the resaws I got out of a 1/2" blade on that thing always impressed me.

Moved up to a 20" saw just a few months ago. If I had room I'd have kept the PM, but alas, I do not.

I agree that you probably pushed your machine a bit with that 3/4" blade. In general 1/2" is about as big as you want to go with a 14" machine, both b/c of the enormous amounts of tension, and b/c the small wheel diameter really puts a lot of stress on the blade. Unfortunately manufacturers seem to be pushing the limits with their recommended blade sizes these days.
    I've also had good service from Powermatic, they should take care of you.

good luck,
    JeffD

Jonathan

I had the same threaded rod strip out on my Jet 14" bandsaw. You may find that the rod is a meteric thread pitch. I changed my jet out to a 5/16" threaded rod, 3/8 rod was too big IIRC, and had to make my own square nut to match the thread on the 5/16" rod.
    The threads on the temsion rod on my Jet appeared to be cut, and not rolled threads. The 5/16" rod I installed was a much better material with rolled threads.

You pushed your bandsaw too much, at least that was my observation after repairng my Jet. Stick with a 1/2" blade max and you should be fine after you get it all fixed back up.

Jonathan

I have the same saw and have broken 2 Carter arms at the same joint you did. The first one that broke looked as if it was cracked before it broke. PM replaced it without question. The second time it broke I told them that it was operator error and I paid for a new arm which I believe was less than $25.

Other than that it has run flawlessly and I really like it. Sometimes I wish I had something bigger but I don't have any room for a bigger BS so the PM stays and keeps me very happy.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Meek View Post
    Jonathan

I have the same saw and have broken 2 Carter arms at the same joint you did.

Dennis
    I don't understand why a critical part under so much stress would be made out of cast iron!! Well actually, I do, it all comes down to profits That part should be steel.

I haven't called CS, yet, I forgot to bring the serial number with me to work. I will call on my lunch break. I'm assuming they will replace the parts. I guess I wont use that 3/4" blade anymore, consensus seems to be that 1/2" is the max, despite what PM says.

Jonathan

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Well, I called CS. They agreed to send the replacement parts, no questions asked. Of course my saw will be down for a week. I asked them to use UPS next day service, they refused. I asked for Priority mail which will reach Alaska 3 times faster than UPS, again they refused. Seems kind of silly, as Priority mail to AK is much cheaper than UPS.

Jonathan

I've had the 14" PM BS going on 4 years now, nice tool. Never had a problem with the carter quick release. I switched this spring to a Cobra Coil tension spring, the old one seemed to be getting a little lack luster. Pretty sure that arm is made out of steel, not cast iron given the way its bent.

The only real annoyance I've had with the saw is adjusting drive belt tension, which I find to be a major pain given the way they engineered, or failed to, the motor mount.

I'd agree 1/2" is the biggest blade a 14" saw can tension, and with proper set up you can use the machine to its fullest capacity for resaw. The 3/4" blade will not do a better job and may actually be worse in use, or break your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I'm Pretty sure that arm is made out of steel, not cast iron given the way its bent.
    Peter, The arm is steel, but the block (connects arm to tension mechanism) that broke in definitely cast iron. Checkout the pic I posted.

I think I'll cut that 3/4" blade up and make a nice frame saw.

Jonathan