Thread: cooled humidor finally done

cooled humidor finally done

after about 3 months of weekend laboring my humidor is finally done.
    it's cooled with 2 peltier units and so far just humming along.
    humidity is already there , temp is still pulling down, only a few more degrees and I finally have a safe place for my cigar collection.

here now a few pics of the finished humidor, wood is zebra wood veneer on the outside, everything on the inside is spanish cedar, face frame and doors are cherry

this was a fun project, but I am glad everything is done and my livingroom/assembly/finishing room is finally cleaned up again

front

left side

right side

bottom drawer for yard dogs and cigars for friends that dont know anything about cigars

top drawer for my nice singles I buy

and the front open

all of the construction pics you can find here

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/humidor_construction

thanx for looking guys

now I just need to get a few more cigars and start aging some
    Last edited by sascha gast; 06-24-2008 at 4:11 AM.
    Sascha

Dude,

You have a serious stogie collection. Any Royal Butera's in there? Great job on the humidor.

Cheers,
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Sweet!

Great looking cabinet and sweet cigar collection!!!!!!

quick question: why 5 hinges per door? are they that big? does the glass add that much weight?

Great job, i like it
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    why 5 hinges per door?
    I was thinking the same thing?

Awesome cabinet by the way, makes me want to take up smoking!!!

Joe

That.....

....is sweet.

When my humble humidor project is complete, I'll have to think twice about posting pictures.

Just out of curiosity, where did you keep your sticks prior to completing this project?

Again...very nice!
    Last edited by Scott Rader; 06-24-2008 at 11:09 AM.

Absolutely fantastic work. Really nice design, great details, and highly functional. What wood is the case veneered with?

nice job

I have to ask a question, I'm a cigar person also and I have built more than my share of humidors. But obviously I out of the loop, why do you have it refridgerated or cooled down. My understanding of refridgeration is that it works as a dehumidifier and a humidor makes or works off of moister. Like I said, you obviously know a lot more than I do about cigars. I have kept cigars for years in just a normal type humidor Hummmm.

Also you may have mentioned in your write up of the process but how do you think the metal slides will hold up under the moister conditions?

I'm curious as all heck because that is one nice humidor and I may be inclined to build one some day using a few of your ideas.

thanks
    Ben

Nice!

Sascha,

What a well executed and gratifying project to complete. Ya gotta be happy with that one Sascha.

A classic cabinet (humidor) with clean lines, nice proportions and a great combination using both the cherry and zebrawood. Well done and congrads Sascha! What's next??????

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

That thing turned out great (as I thought it would). You should be proud!
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

thanx guys.
    I am using 5 hinges for various reasons, one, the weight, dual pane glass is really adding some weight to the doors.
    but also because I wanted the doors to close as even and as tight as possible.
    I rather over build than not enough.

the cooling units are thermoelectric and don't use a compressor, therefore they don't dehumidify the cigars like lets say a fridge would do
    Sascha