Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to cut 60* bevel

how to cut 60* bevel

I have a project that requires me to cut a 60* bevel on the edge of some laminated plywood... To achieve something like the triangle below. What's the best method for cutting angles like this?

Last edited by Leo Kempf; 06-24-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo

instead of running the board through flat to the table, run it through vertically and set the blade at 30 degrees. You can use a tenoning jig or some other way of keeping the board vertical.

If you have access to a miter saw, this jig is fairly easy to make.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip031003wb.html

Blog Entries
    What JohnT said.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

make a tall TS fence, run em through standing up. or use a router or shaper cutter for 60 degree bevels. I'd leave your pieces just a bit long and cut to final length last.

thanks. ordered a tenoning jig.

As nice as it is to have a tenoning jig, why don't you simply angle the table saw blade like John T said?

Jon T said to put the board through vertically and tilt the blade. the tenoning jig will allow me to run the board vertically. Because I can only do angles less than 45% by tilting and running horizontally.

That's how I understand it. Correct?

+1 on what JohnT said...

Only... Instead of forking out a bunch of $$ for a jig you may not use often (well, I thought that way until I bought mine, anyway), you can get by with a simple shop-made jig. You want to make a jig that looks like a lower-case "h" when looked from the side... the long part of the "h" sits on the blade side of the fence and the "hump" part fits snugly (but still slides smoothly) over the fence. You clamp the board you want to cut to the long part like you would in a tenoning jig and go to town... you simply slide the jig on the fence and you have your 60* angle (with the blade set to 30* like JohnT said).
    Quote of the day: "If man isn't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?" - Socrates (Fred Socrates, Winder, GA)

Cheers!
    Randy

Why do you have to cut the board on edge? Set the table saw at 30 degrees and use the other side of the blade and a miter guage.IF one side of the blade is at 30 the other is at 60. The board will have to be flipped upside down but having the board flat on the table is much easier to deal with instead of on edge IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Why do you have to cut the board on edge? Set the table saw at 30 degrees and use the other side of the blade and a miter guage.IF one side of the blade is at 30 the other is at 60. The board will have to be flipped upside down but having the board flat on the table is much easier to deal with instead of on edge IMHO.
    I'm not able to visualize what you're saying. From the picture in the first post, he's trying to make an equilateral triangle, which means that each vertice is 60* (since the total of angles in a triangle is 180*). Since there are two pieces of wood being cut to make up each angle, each piece of wood needs to be cut to a 30* angle (the included angle between the outside and the cut is 30*).

Since he can't tilt the blade down to 30* (most only go to 45*) the suggestion was made to tilt the blade to 30* from the vertical and cut with the wood held vertically, which will give him a 30* cut. There's no way I can see to make the 30* cut with the wood laying flat on the table saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm not able to visualize what you're saying. From the picture in the first post, he's trying to make an equilateral triangle, which means that each vertice is 60* (since the total of angles in a triangle is 180*). Since there are two pieces of wood being cut to make up each angle, each piece of wood needs to be cut to a 30* angle (the included angle between the outside and the cut is 30*).

Since he can't tilt the blade down to 30* (most only go to 45*) the suggestion was made to tilt the blade to 30* from the vertical and cut with the wood held vertically, which will give him a 30* cut. There's no way I can see to make the 30* cut with the wood laying flat on the table saw.

Mike
    You are correct. I did not look at the picture close enough. I was fixated on the 60 and forgot about the angle needed to be half that.

I am having trouble seeing how a tenoning jig would make these cuts easier or even possible? The drawings don't indicate the length but I would suspect clamping a length of plywood to a tenon jig would be rather unstable relative to the kind of precision needed to create tight corners on a plywood triangle.

Am I missing something? I am thinking raised panel door jig more than tenon jig.

that's true...the pieces will be pretty big....12" deep and some a few feet tall and 1" thick. I was a bit worried about stability with this jig. What do you guys think?

Leo,

Is there any reason you can't tilt your saw blade to 30 degrees and cut them laying flat on the table saw?

Oops...........dummy answered his own question....can't do it that way..........

I'd think a tall fence and tilt the saw blade to 30 degrees.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-24-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....