Thread: Black Walnut

Black Walnut

I have the opportunity through Craig's List to buy approximately 120 bdf of black walnut cut 24 years ago. There are (4) 6/4 x 20" x 12' boards for $16 a bdf. He also has some shorts (2) of the same width and about 3'-4' long which he's throwing in for free. On the surface the price seemed high to me so I went and looked at it. When he said 20" width that was an under statement it was more like 22". The main thing I noticed was the beautiful grain and 1it is 00% heartwood with no bark inclusions or that nasty white sapwood. Only one board had a check in it and that was only 1-2 inchs long and only on one end. All the boards were dead flat and mic'd out to just over 1.5". I haven't seen to many 22" wide walnut boards lately so @ $16 bdf what do you all think deal or no deal.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

That should read 100% heartwood.
    Ray Scheller

if they were cut that long ago, and still dead flat (chances are they aren't going to warp now), and that size, I'm thinking you have a deal. Just curious what the moisture level is, though doubt being too dry will be a problem.

Jack,

My guess would be some where between 5% and 10% due to the low RH we have in the Albuquerque area and these boards have been in NM for 20 of those 25 years. By the way he said they were cut in northern Wisconson in 1984
    Ray Scheller

Ray that seems very very high to me. Sounds like he has alot of profit built into it.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

You can always counter offer. It is hard to say really. BW can be gotten for less for sure but 16" wide boards is a whole different thing.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

John,

They're 20" - 22" wide.
    Ray Scheller

Unless you need a board 22" wide it sounds way too expensive. I can get walnut around here all heartwood for about $8 a bdft and think that is expensive.

You're paying a premium for rarity; $16/bf would be quite high for 4/4 by normal run widths, but 6/4 walnut 20-22" wide in long lengths is very hard to come by these days, so he price is whatever he can get.

The shorts (15-17 bf) could make small table tops or terrific matched door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Unless you need a board 22" wide it sounds way too expensive.
    I agree that the price per bf sounds high, but who here couldn't think of great uses for fabulous looking 22" boards? High-style dining tables, raised panels for interior doors, country style kitchen tables, sofa tables..... any of those projects would look immeasurably better made with stock that wide (fewer glue joints always=better looking, IMO).

Useable wood?

Do you have a specific project in mind that you need this lumber for? Also, are they rough, or surfaced at the 1.5" dimension?

Although the boards sound great, you need to think about how you will use them and if they work out for you.

1. Do you need 22" wide lumber? Two 11" boards would be much cheaper.

2. Can you handle 22" wide boards? If you have to rip them in half, or three pieces to joint/plane them then you are paying way too much, when you could have 2 or 3 smaller boards for much less.

3. What does 1.5" lumber do for you? You will either have to plane a lot off if you normally use 3/4" boards, or you will have to resaw it. In my experience; you will not be able to resaw and get 2 3/4" boards. The best you could do would be one 3/4" and one 1/2" board. Do you need 1/2" boards? Can you resaw 22"....probably not, so your back to ripping them in half again to do anything to them.

I can't think of any projects that I need 6/4 for? I personally think it is way over priced. - You are talking $1920 - almost $500 a board!!!!

Now, with all that said, If you have a specific project and the 22" width does something unique (ie, single slab tops, single slab case sides, etc) then you should go for it, but only if you have a definate need for it.

Hope this helps, and gives you some things to think about.

I agree with Andy. Being cut 24 years ago means little in this equation, they were dry enough to use about 22 years ago. So it is solely the width that gives any "added value." I can buy good walnut all day long for $4-5 bdf. Most of it will be 6-8" wide, but for most projects that is very usable.

Unless you have a specific project in mind, that is an outrageous price. If you have a special project, then it is simply a question of how valuable they are to you - the opinion of others doesn't matter at that point.

I do agree that they are a rare find, but there are many rare finds that have no utility for me. Unless I could turn them for a profit - not interested. I would say a "flip" in this situation would be a slim chance!

I thought I just bought a fair amount of 6/4 walnut.

Well not huge but I picked up 4 boards 7' X 8" X 1 3/4". Planed, fairly straight, mostly heartwood. I'd have to go look before I swore to all heartwood but close.

I already had one so I'm close to being ready to built this irregular desk top built as a 2 person computer station. I have had this on my list for about 1.5 yrs as I do other projects. We got the second computer in January and have been working on an MDF top to test the shape.

I buy a fair amount of stuff at Rocklers if the starting price is not too bad. This was about $10.50 a foot and I had walked in with my 20% off all lumber coupon. My table is 7', this stuff is 7', I bought all the straight boards.

So, consideration. I feel great about this purchase because I thought the price of less than $8.50 was ok for the material. Second the material met my needs. I know from unloading it from my car carrier you'll have to have some help with every step of your building, until you get it cut down. If you have to cut it down then why not buy it as you need it in narrower widths? On this desk there is so much crap covering it and the computers the average bear won't see the joints. They will see the curving 1 1/2 edge cut back and clearly not built up to get the thickness.

So easy answer. Do you have a project for any of this that you now can't live without doing? Would only the 20+ inch width work? You're not counting on reselling some of this for that price are you?

By the time you get through the paragraph above you'll know if it's a good deal for you. If you just happen to be planning a new "round table" for your jousting club 2K is a deal. If you've thought of enough realistic projects you are already wishing he had more its a deal.

Does that help?
    Larry,
    Seattle

For the right project, boards like that are "priceless". While $16/bd ft is a scary price, you have to compare it to similar material. As someone mentioned, stock like that is pretty rare these days since there are very few harvestable trees of that stature still around. Irion, who specializes in wide stock, sells 18-22" wide walnut in 6/4 for between $12 and $15 a board foot, depending on the figure, etc. With a 200 bd ft minimum plus shipping. So that number you have isn't that far out of line, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You would have to need that size board to make it worth while. Cutting down will only loose you money. That being said it also depends where you live I pay a premium for wood right out side NY. If I travel to PA things are much cheaper.
    -=Jason=-