Thread: Goooin to the ToolShrine, gonna get a Bandsaw...

Goooin to the ToolShrine, gonna get a Bandsaw...

And, I'm undecided as to which one to get. I've pretty much boiled it down to the Jet 18" "X" model (#710750) (1.75hp) or the Steel City 16" Industrial. I can get the Jet for $999 plus tax, the Steel City for $1,039 + tax. Before anybody jumps in and suggests I go with the 3hp Jet or a big Grizzly or the like, I'm in a rented townhouse with only 120v power to the garage. Running 240 is not in the cards.

My local vendor has the Jet, and they're a Steel City dealer, but don't have any of the 16" models in stock, so I haven't been able to compare them side by side. Ergo, I'd like some feedback from those who've had a chance to either use one (or both) or at least see both.

The $40 difference is negligible. The only clear advantage that the Jet seems to have is the additional 1/4hp and 2" of resaw capacity. The Steel City SEEMS to have easier blade tracking adjustment, as well as a tension quick release, better dust collection, and a handy dandy paddle switch, and will run at two speeds.

Input is hereby solicited. Oh, and I will need to mobilate the beast, so suggestions on doing so are also requested.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have a Grizzly 17" bandsaw and therefore can't comment on the JET or Steel City models.

But you did mention mobility and I do have the JET mobile base on my bandsaw. I had to modify it to fit a bandsaw, but it's great; very stable, rolls easily and it has two handy foot levers on the front to lock and unlock the wheels. The Shop Fox has two knobs you have to bend down and turn by hand; not really a problem, but not quite handy either.

I looked at the JET and Shop Fox mobile bases side by side. The Shop Fox is OK. The JET is much heavier duty and nicer, IMO.

By the way, I don't know if you intended this, but your title makes that old Foghat song play in my head. "'Cause I'm a fool for the city..."

Personally, I'm a Steel City fan. I have the 14" w/ granite top and love it. My TS is also a SC w/ titanium top. Soon to add the SC bench mortiser as well.

My rationale is "best bang for the buck"... Jet and SC are both manufactured in Chinese factories, but SC owns the factory (as I've been informed) in China where Jet "farms" out their work to different factories. Add in the 5 year SC warranty and it make is a no brainer (for me, anyway). SC's support line is far superior to any I've ever had to call... got my problem resolved in a few short minutes the one time I did need to call them.
    Quote of the day: "If man isn't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?" - Socrates (Fred Socrates, Winder, GA)

Cheers!
    Randy

Forget the ShopFox mobile base. The swivel casters don't work and your base won't roll. A number of people have posted their problems with these bases. Do a search and you will find at least 20 posts. Nobody has a favorable review.

Doug Rogers

Resaw Capacity

John,

I have not used or looked at either of the machines you are considering, but the issue of resaw capacity is often misunderstood. I have a Delta 14" machine with a six inch riser block, so does that mean I can resaw 20 inches, not a chance (try just shy of 12). When a saw is described as 14", 16", 18" , they are talking about the diameter of the top and bottom wheels. I do not want you to make a decision and then be disappointed, am sure either machine will put a smile on your face that will be hard to wipe off, that is the case with my Delta. Enjoy and watch your fingers, my dad who worked around large industrial tools his whole life got a nasty cut from a little ShopSmith bandsaw!

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

If you are in a rented townhouse, there may not be enough amperage in a line to your shop to run a BS of that HP. It will probably either trip the breaker when it starts up or when under a load.

Ask an electrician how much amperage and wire gauge you should have to not frustrate yourself to death. You should not need 220 if you can get enough 120 amps.

Jet v. Steel City Band Saw

John got the resaw numbers correct. The Jet JWBS-18X has 12" resaw, and the Steel City 50200 has 10" resaw.

I've got the Rikon 18" 10-345, so I can't give first hand comments, but I see that the SC has tension quick release and the Jet does not. The SC looks like it comes with a goose neck task light, which would be handy. The Jet does have a larger table, 19"x19" vs. 16"x16". Both have 5 year warranty and a single 4" port below table dust port. Jet weighs 418 lbs, SC 341 lbs. While I'm a fan of the Rikon, between the Jet and the SC it is very close, but, I'd go for the SC. The quick release being the tie breaker.

Good luck with your choice.

Jet Vrs SC

John:

I have had both the jet 16" and the SC 16" bandsaws. I started out with the Jet and it was a pretty nice saw but I noticed that the SC had more features for the money at the time so my dealer allowed me to bring the Jet back and get the SC. Both have good features. The part I like about the Jet was the 1" larger table and the fence. The features of the SC that I liked were the bearing guides, a light, two speed, heavier trunnions, alignment window and blade tention release lever. Probably some more features that I can't remember but those are the main ones. I liked the larger table on the Jet and the fence looked sturdier but I didn't care for the european blade guides and the shortage of the features named above. As for mobility I just us the General universal base. I don't move it very much and it seems solid enough.

Have fun with whichever one you choose.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert foster View Post
    John:

I have had both the jet 16" and the SC 16" bandsaws. I started out with the Jet and it was a pretty nice saw but I noticed that the SC had more features for the money at the time so my dealer allowed me to bring the Jet back and get the SC. Both have good features. The part I like about the Jet was the 1" larger table and the fence. The features of the SC that I liked were the bearing guides, a light, two speed, heavier trunnions, alignment window and blade tention release lever. Probably some more features that I can't remember but those are the main ones. I liked the larger table on the Jet and the fence looked sturdier but I didn't care for the european blade guides and the shortage of the features named above. As for mobility I just us the General universal base. I don't move it very much and it seems solid enough.

Have fun with whichever one you choose.

Bob
    Bob,
    Did you have much experience with the Jet before you made the swap? Specifically, I'm wondering about the relative difference in adjusting the bearing guides and their effectiveness. Also, when do you think the two-speed capability of the SC will come into play?

I'm also a wee bit concerned about the power requirements. The garage has two circuits, one is the lights and GD opener, 15amp; the other is a 20amp circuit. I doubt very much that I'll have a problem with the 1.75hp Jet on the 20amp circuit, but I don't know if I'll be able to run it AND the DC on the circuit. hmmm....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.