Thread: Wood Box .cdr Designer....? Anyone out there ?

Wood Box .cdr Designer....? Anyone out there ?

Hey everyone...from time to time wooden dovetail box .cdr designs have been posted...some designs have come from the Epilog website...I need to know is there anyone in the group doing wooden box .cdr designs ? I know there is a software called Boxmaker...I have it and used it...but it isn't giving me what I want...
    Thanks
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-11-2013 at 9:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James Wright - Haventouch Enterprises Inc. Dahlonega, Ga. (Epilog Laser Mini 24 - 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, PhotoGrav 3.0) "Who is John Galt ?"

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but I've got a VBA macro for doing boxes, you can find it here. A couple examples of boxes made using it are here.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee,
    I tried the VBA pretty cool, now what is the green line and the purple box for?. Also if I select a single layet or demo it only makes three sections does it have to be cut twice to get a 6 section box. Do you have some explanation like boxes for dummies?

Thanks
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    Lee,
    I tried the VBA pretty cool, now what is the green line and the purple box for?. Also if I select a single layet or demo it only makes three sections does it have to be cut twice to get a 6 section box. Do you have some explanation like boxes for dummies?

Thanks
    Kim
    Nope, never got around to writing a tutorial...sorry about that. Best thing to do is cut some out of something cheap like 1/4" MDF to see how they go together.

Green line is the separator between box and lid, purple boxes are hinge mortises. I usually just delete either/both if not required, but IIRC if you set hinge width to zero, the mortise goes away. And yes, it draws only a minimal part set: my laser is only a 12x16 bed, so most boxes end up getting cut in multiple batches anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Curious

I am not familiar with "Laser Cutting." How is it done and is it expensive?
    I am an expert in Illustrator, Corel X4, and Flexi Sign. I also produce the commercial embroidery art for my wifes' business. Is this similar or using any of these software tools?
    Who makes the machinery? Are there subcontractors out there?

6. boxmaker.rahulbotics.com
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-11-2013 at 9:53 AM.

Have a look at http://www.makercase.com

+1 for boxmaker.rahulbotics.com
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

So I tried BoxMaker tonight and worked slick. But I don't understand what to do with the file from the makercase.com? Any help?
    2013 Epilog Mini 24x12 60W, Coral Draw X6, Windows 7 Pro
    Old BobCAD 50/50 cnc router (MACH 3 cnc software)
    Shoptask Eldorado 3in1 cnc'd (MACH 3 cnc software)
    Jet 1340 manual metal lathe
    Quote: If you want to kill time, why not work it to death

maker case creates SVG file or scaleable Vector Graphics. Just Import them into Corel.

11. Don't forget the Onlinetool "Boxdesigner"... ;-)