Thread: Hawaiian woodcarver in action..

Hawaiian woodcarver in action..

Just got back from 5 day visit to Hawaii where I saw this woodcarver making Tiki's in the lobby of our hotel from native wood (I believe he called it "Mila"). I thought my fellow neanders might be interested in his "vise". I don't know whether he trained under a Japanese craftsman or Polynesians have always done it this way.

That chisel is too close to skin for me to be comfortable. We bought two Tiki's from him (which he signed) ...one for good luck, the other for protection. One thing I will remember is how beautiful the trees and other vegetation was. I saw banyan trees for the first time along with a pine they called a norfolk pine but it was different from any norfolk pine I've ever seen. Also a tree called by the natives a monkeypod tree..but a tour guide from Alabama told us..."back home we would call them "mimosa", that grew to 50-60 ft in height with an equally impressive spread. The biggest mimosa I've ever seen in SE Texas was about 20 ft. tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Jennings
    Just got back from 5 day visit to Hawaii where I saw this woodcarver making Tiki's in the lobby of our hotel from native wood (I believe he called it "Mila"). I thought my fellow neanders might be interested in his "vise". I don't know whether he trained under a Japanese craftsman or Polynesians have always done it this way.

That chisel is too close to skin for me to be comfortable.
    Danny, that's very interesting! Don't think I'll be trying anything like that in the near (or extended )future...Heck, I'd *always* be hobbling around if I did! Sounds like you had a fun trip. Thanks for posting the pic and additional info.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Some Bench clamp! I can't even get my feet in that posn.

I'm with you Tyler on the feet position. I wish I was still that limber. Yeah John we did have a great trip. Got to play golf with my son on a course cut out the side of a mountain in a tropical rain forest(lost a lot of golf balls) but had a blast, saw the Arizona memorial (a solemn,inspiring time, visit Pearl Harbor Naval Base, the Polynesian Cultural Center (where we learned so much about the Polynesian people) and stand on the shore of Sunset Beach. I told my wife 35 years ago I would have given my eye teeth to surf the Bonzai pipeline but now I can barely walk up and down the 12 inch deep sand. There were so many interesting things to see and do and not enough time to do it in.
    Woodworking content: saw a lot of beautiful trees and items made from local woods. In addition to the Tikis I bought a money clip made with curly Koa wood by a local woodworker. It is beautiful wood. Wanted to bring some back but couldn't find a supplier within quick walking distance of the hotel plus my suitcase was already 10 lbs over Continental's weight limit. Well, that just another reason why I have to go back.

How do you get the smell out of the wood?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Took me a little while..

but I finally got it. Maybe that's why he wrapped them in odor eaters instead of bubble wrap.

7. There are Banyans in Florida; if I recall correctly, they have at least one in the Edison/Ford Winter Estate house (http://www.edison-ford-estate.com/gardens.asp).