Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" X 4' X 8' Birch Plywood!

3/4" X 4' X 8' Birch Plywood!

I am working on a Router Table so I buy some 3/4" X 4' X 8' Birch Plywood for the project. Now I don't check the thickness cause like a fool I think its 3/4" cause that is what Lowe's said it was. Well I get a bunch of the pieces cut out and start doing the dado work and set the dado at 3/4" and run my pieces. I got a scrap piece of MDF 3/4" check the dado's and we are cool. Then a little later I check the shelf that is going in the groove and it is like almost 1/8" to big. I check the Birch Plywood and find it is not really 3/4" but closer to 11/16". My dump mistake for not checking I know but was I that wrong in assuming that when I bought 3/4" plywood that I was getting 3/4" or does all birch plywood measure less then what it says at Lowe's. I bought a sheet of 1/2" X 4' X 8' at a Hardwood Supplier and it measured the 1/2" that it stated it was. I had to go and get more and remake the sides and then adjust my measurements for the smaller dimensions. It is going to work out just fine now that I know but really bugged me when I first found it. I guess next time it will be the Hardwood Supplier for me. Norm's Table sure has a lot of parts.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

All plywood is like that. It is almost always a metric measurement and it always is very important to set the dadoes to match the existing sheet goods.

MDF and melamine are nearly always a true 1/2 or 3/4.

You may get better quality cores and veneers at a hardwood supplier but the thickness will be the same or at least very close.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I think you are overstating the problem

The undersize which Gary points out is standard for the last decade, or so, is really just 4 mm - nothing like 1/8"; e.g. about 1/32". Since this is "just" for a shop table, I am wondering what would justify the cost and labor to start all over.

In the future shim the dado set to exact size, or get a set of plywood router bits of for the respective plywood sizes, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4"

Freud makes a set of plywood router bits, has 4 different sizes in it for about $69.00 + shipping. I either got mine from Rockler or Woodcraft. They work like a champ.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Most of the ply I work with is 23/32" and it's even listed that way. The Freud dado set I have has the shims necessary to create a dado this thickness. Like several others have mentioned, I also have the set of four router bits in the plywood thicknesses.

I always measure EVERY piece of ply in multiple spots with a set of calipers to get the REAL thickness before making any rabbits or dados. I've had two sequential pieces vary in thickness by 1/16.

Be well,

Doc

I imagine that 3/4" plywood at some point was 3/4", but all I've ever gotten has been 23/32". Just about every company that sells router bits sells one that size made specifically for dados for plywood. I have one chucked into an old router that's dedicated to that.
    And now for something completely different....

This may be the reality, and we have to live with it, but we don't have to like it. Does everything have to be cheapened and degraded???

I got burned by that recently big time! I was building the 1st of my shop cabinets. I inset the dados for the 1/2" plywood back just under 3/4 from the back of the sides and tops so I could use a french cleat and the cabinet would be very close to flush with the wall.

I checked a SCRAP of 1/2 plywood for thickness as the full sheet I was going to use was under a pile of scrap.

After I got the sides, top and middle shelves glued and screwed, when I went to install the back in the dados....you got it! Luckily, with a little glue in the dados and my 8 lb. persuasion hammer and block of wood. And when the glue I used as a lubricant set up, I'm not worried about that back coming out.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slavin View Post
    The undersize which Gary points out is standard for the last decade, or so, is really just 4 mm - nothing like 1/8"; e.g. about 1/32". Since this is "just" for a shop table, I am wondering what would justify the cost and labor to start all over.

In the future shim the dado set to exact size, or get a set of plywood router bits of for the respective plywood sizes, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4"
    Steve it was just a case of I wanted it to look good when I got it done. It only cost another $25.00 to make the new sides and I can use the left over plywood for another project down the line. Since I am just getting started in this wood working stuff I felt like doing it right was as important as anything else. Now that I know that the Lowe's Birch Plywood is less then 3/4" I won't be making that mistake again. We all started someplace and learned from the mistakes we made on the way. The 1/2" Birch plywood from the Hardwood Supplier was 1/2" as stated. Lowe's must get theres from China.

The Blue BORG's plywood comes over on the same boat as the Orange Borg's. If you don't have a good set of calibers to measure plywood thickness, then that should be your next investment. Even a cheap set of General Brand calibers are better than none at all. However, digital are very nice & precise. They are great also for measuring your dado depth of cuts allowing you to fine tune to exactly where you want it.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

That's a good idea Harley Thanks for the tip.

It only took me one time to get burned on the called out thickness size.
    Then went and got a caliper. Problem solved, I check every sheet and set my dado accordingly.

As for "Does everything need to be cheapened and degraded" well yes and no.

Some things, yes, are just plain junk, where as some items through an engineering process become smaller, lighter, less expensive but actually are all around better.

Just glue a sheet of formica to your -3/4 table top and it will bring the thickness to as close to 3/4 as can be measured. Plus your table top will look great.

Pleasant Plywood surprise at the Blue Borg

I was looking for some decent shop quality ply and found some 1/2" B/C ply at Lowes that was....1/2" replete with APA and "made in USA" stamps. The thing that's weird about it is that it's 4 plies. I'm not sure how they worked the grain orientation. They did have some 4X4 sheets that were similar but were 5 plies.

Plywood

Here in South America what you would buy as 3/4 is actually 19 mm.