Thread: Air Tools Connectors

Air Tools Connectors

I have a Makita 4 gallon hotdog which I originally bought to blow out shavings in my lathe turnings. Since then I've added a vacuum system, air brush, impact hammer, and brad gun. I've got lines running everywhere.

The problem is leaks. I've resealed just about every connector but still have leaks. The connectors that came with the compressor do not leak. The other connectors are Harbor Freight and Kobalt. If I jiggle a connected connector I can hear it leak so as far as I'm concerned they both are bad.

The other thing I don't like is they are 2 handed connectors. I have to pull down a sleeve before inserting the the other end. The Makita connectors slip right in and don't jiggle.

Who makes good connectors and where can I get them?

Thanks,
    Burt

Milton.
    Real autoparts stores. (Ones that sell to pros.)

Quote Originally Posted by david scheidt View Post
    Milton.
    Real autoparts stores. (Ones that sell to pros.)
    I agree. You get what you pay for.

Rob Will Guest
    When I read the title to this post I knew that Harbor Freight was involved. HF air couplers are absolute junk.

Go to a real auto parts store or industrial supply house.

Rob

Milton. Although, I am one of the few, that prefer safety style couplers. (these release the air pressure before ejecting the coupler, harder to find)

Randal and David stated "Milton" - if that name isn't

familiar to you, Milton is the de facto manuf for such fittings. Their 76X V-style or 72X series are what you want. The 76X connectors are 1/64 larger in. diameter required for HVLP guns because of the 17% greater air flow. But, note that the 72X series are the standard for air tools such as Porter Cable.

The 76X are bronze color and the 72X are silver/aluminum in color and look almost the same but are not intechangeable except that the threads are the same for the reason specified above. We take it for granted that you are using teflon tape on all threaded fittings.

Since you are using this for tools and nozzles, you would appear to want the 72X fittings.

Sail away from Harbor Freight with the first tide you catch.
    Last edited by Steve Flavin001; 06-28-2008 at 5:48 PM.

Milton? Any online distributors...

Our Ace hardware

carries Milton as well.

No need to throw out all the male end connectors. but the hf femail connectors leak like a siv. lowes actually carries three types of kolbolt connectors. get the U universal ones. they will work on both types of male connectors and they lock open when u pull back so all u have to do is insert the fitting and it will lock. i had the same problem and thats how i solved it. remember universal connector not the regular automotive ones. also make sure you use a bit of teflon tape on the ends.

Brett G.