Thread: Rockler tenoning jig.....mini-review.....

Rockler tenoning jig.....mini-review.....

While in Arlington, TX for 2 weeks, I bought the Rockler Shop Basics heavy duty tenoning jig. Jim O'Dell provided me with a coupon that almost paid for the cost of shipping to my home in Idaho. It arrived before I did late last night. When I announced it in another thread here, someone reported they'd bought one and it wouldn't align with the table saw blade. Well, the saw is in Idaho, the tenoning jig was on it's way to Idaho and I couldn't do much about it.

This morning I was able to assemble it for the first time and try it on my t/s.

Yup.....The body would not adjust over far enough away from the blade to allow you a slice off properly.

Being mechanically inclined....and with 4 holes drilled in the body...I'll just cut a piece 3/4" plywood and screw it to the body. That'll move "work piece" over 3/4" and while I won't have much adjustment, it'll work and I"ll have some fine adjustment.

Then I flipped the whole thing over. Bless Rockler and some engineers heart for their forethought! A 2nd milled dado groove with two drilled and tapped holes to the left of the one the miter guide was currently attached. I unscrewed the miter guide, moved it to the othet slot and it was now within the middle of the adjustment range. It worked like a charm!

Nice going Rockler!

No photos. The wife has the camera and she and the MIL who were supposed to arrive here in 20 minutes......due to a Delta computer glitch, won't be arriving until 2140 this evening. I have more time to go play with my new toy.....er.....tool...

tjig.bmp
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-28-2008 at 9:15 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've never used the Rockler tenoning jig. I hope you enjoy it as much I have enjoyed my Grizzly tenoning jig. It too, works like a charm!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Ken,

That looks, strangly, like a tool for flat work. Thanks for the info.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Camp View Post
    Ken,

That looks, strangly, like a tool for flat work. Thanks for the info.

Nathan
    Nathan....

You coulda' whispered that!
    Ken

Well, I hate to depress any imaginary Rockler Engineer,

from glowing in your compliment, but this jig, made in some Chinese factory (thus the name universal, we think ) appears identically except for paint color and label in everything from Delta to Rockler, and anything left over in the alphabet. As a "universal" jig it speaks more to fitting anything with a miter slot - right hand left hand, big, little, as long as it is true 3/8 slot., than cutting universally.

Bless Rockler and some engineers heart for their forethought! A 2nd milled dado groove with two drilled and tapped holes to the left of the one the miter guide was currently attached. ... It worked like a charm!

Nice going Rockler!
    HA!!

But you will find as you drive it more, the range of stock you might wish to trim will vary and can be accommodated by inserting a block spacer frequently, and or shifting it on the pre-planed choice of two slots.

It is a great product, Rockler notwitstanding , and I have had many hours of beneficial use.

It is also a good thing it was partly paid for, because of its weight, it would probably cost more to ship north than it cost to ship you

Steve,

My point was SOMEONE had it well thought out.

And yeah.....the 4 holes drilled in the body kinda gave it away about using spacer materiial.

I was just glad that it was universal and adaptable and cheaper than the very similar Delta sitting right next to it.
    Ken

I found out the hard way that there is no standard as far as the miter slot to the blade distance is concerned. Ridgid is an inch further than Delta for example.

Greg

Greg,

I have a Ridgid TS3650. That is the saw I tried it on. I"m just happy that the tenoning jig was adaptable enough to work on the saw considering I bought the jig while 2000 miles away from home and the saw.
    Ken

Well, aside from a facetious remark about any engineer, I

also found the price was as varied as the OEM one-factory label, for sale based on the mood and disposition of the sales rep. There must be a substantial room for markup in these as well, sold from $49 to $89.

Steve,

I wasn't giving a glorified rating on the thing. I was just happy that without making any modifications to it, it performed as advertised and adapted to my saw. I bought it 2,000 miles from my saw and shipped it home and it worked as advertised and appeared to have been thoughtfully engineered.
    Ken

Ken I actually like the idea that this jig has two settings and for you pointing it out.

I have a GI jig and actually have it set up in the right hand slot in order to get the jig close enough to the blade. It is actually set up backwards, but with the handles in the correct places.

I might have to tap a couple new screw holes in order to adapt mine for the left miter slot.

thanks for posting.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

What you forgot Ken is that everything is bigger in TEXAS!!!!!!

You just have to remember to re-adjust things to fit them other 48 little states

Rusty.....Those Texas egos are big too!
    Ken

The Rockler jig looks just like my jig from Woodcraft, the only difference is mine is painted green instead of blue.