Thread: I need a hold fast

I need a hold fast

Everyone was right. The cast hold fast did not last long at all. I need a good basic hold fast. Just the kind you whack with a hammer. Nothing fancy, just basic but good.

I use HF $1.99 hold fasts in my square holes and they work fine..

Joel at TFWW sells the best round forged ones I know of..

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...&Category_Code=
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I have a pair of the Gramercy holdfasts from tfww and they have been terrific. When I first got them they had a tendency to loosen up in the dog holes until I took a bit oof 220 sandpaper and roughed the posts up just a bit, ever since that point I have been completely happy with them.

I would buy them again and enthusiastically recommend them.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    I use HF $1.99 hold fasts in my square holes and they work fine..

Joel at TFWW sells the best round forged ones I know of..

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...&Category_Code=
    The one I broke was a Harbor Freight (cast) is there another HF that I am not aware of?

There are a couple of Blacksmiths (Phil Kootnz & Jake Pogrebinsky) in Galena, Alaska making nice holdfasts. Chris Schwarz pictures them in his workbench book, and praises them on his blog. I e-mailed Phil last week, asking about them. Here are the specs he gave me "Holdfasts are $110 per pair, including priority mail postage in the US and Canada. ....they are made for use in a 3/4" bench hole at least 1-1/2" thick. They have a reach of about 7-1/2" and depth of about 11".

Contact info can be found here

jakes holdfast.jpg

I am just about finished up with my new bench, and plan to splurge on a pair sometime soon.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    I have a pair of the Gramercy holdfasts from tfww and they have been terrific. When I first got them they had a tendency to loosen up in the dog holes until I took a bit oof 220 sandpaper and roughed the posts up just a bit, ever since that point I have been completely happy with them.

Don,

You saved me a bunch of typing.

I consider the Gramercy holdfasts one of the best woodworking purchases I've made, and a bargain at $30 or so for the pair.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I prefer my own design of holdfasts made of 3/4" hot rolled round and 1/4" by 3/4" or 1" hot rolled flat arc welded to the tops and forged and ground down smooth, as you can strike them right on top of the round and the flat is springy so they don't work loose in use.

Last edited by harry strasil; 06-30-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I prefer my own design of holdfasts made of 3/4" hot rolled round and 1/4" by 3/4" or 1" hot rolled flat arc welded to the tops and forged and ground down smooth, as you can strike them right on top of the round and the flat is springy so they don't work loose in use.

Yeah, but you're one of them fellas can make anything out of anything. Us less skilled individuals have to buy some things.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post

I'll just echo Don again. These holdfasts are a great tool. Everyone should use them. I think they look so simple that people don't believe how good they are.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Dave,

Take a look at these Veritas holdfasts from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...49&cat=1,41637 . They're pricey, but they're my favortes by far. I have a pair of the Gramercy holdfasts and they are very good, but I find the Veritas ones NEVER slip and the pressure is adjustable with at turn of the knob.

Hank

Another vote for Gramercy

The Gramercy holdfasts work terrifically in my somewhat thin Sjobergs bench. All it took was a little roughing up with sandpaper, as others have said, and I couldn't be more pleased. Kudos to Joel at Tools for Working Wood for developing such an economical solution.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The one I broke was a Harbor Freight (cast) is there another HF that I am not aware of?
    Nope I have four of the ones you have and they are much shorter than Joel's

I also have a Record screw tighten hold fast
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Gramarcy from ToolsForWorkingWood.com was my choice...great hold-fasts!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post

Well??? How much?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Holdfasts

Yet another vote for the Gramercy HF's from TFWW. Great performers at a great price.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA