Thread: Nail Gun question

Nail Gun question

Hi-
    I just bought a Dewalt nailgun/compressor kit, and I have a question - Do I need to use Dewalt nails in it, or are nails standardized across Dewalt/Bostich/Paslode, etc?
    Ron Conlon

Nail Gun Compatability

Most of the nail guns today are Senco compatable.

DeWalt is one of those, so just ask for Senco caopatable nails.
    Dave Laird
    D and N Specialties (Laser Engraving)
    Pro Sales for Woodworker's Supply in Albuquerque, NM

yes just check the guage, and the lengths your gun can accept.
    -=Jason=-

I was going to post a similar question. I have a Senco 15ga angle head nailer, purchased with a brad nailer and stapler. The brad nailer and stapler seem to shoot Porter Cable fasteners just fine, but when I went to use the finish nailer, it would not shoot the nails. I tried the 15ga 1 1/2" nails in it. But all it would do is dimple the surface of the scrap I was shoot in. Any suggestions? It seems like the gun is functioning, as it will jet a powerful blast of air when you attempt to activate it, and it does dimple the target, just no nails out.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

The brand(s) gun in which a given box of nails will

satisfactorily operate is marked prominently on the box of nails.

While substantially interchangeable there are exceptions - particularly in the 15-16 gauge nails. Do not assume all nails of a same given length are fully compatible.

As to Greg's question - e.g. wouldn't work, only dimple - verify ample air pressure. If the nail is incompatible, results will most likely be a jam and you do NOT need that to ruin your day.

Rob Will Guest
    I just got rid of a Senco frame nailer and purchased a Paslode.

The Senco nails are closer together and will not work well in the Paslode gun. Yes, they will shoot but the driver does not line up with the nail heads correctly.

Both brands of nails had the same angle and gauge size.

Before mixing and matching look at the exact spacing of the nails and the shape / placement of the nail heads.

What did I learn? Never buy this stuff from the BORG. They often sell a "home owner grade" nail guns and have no idea about which nails will work.

After jumping through a bunch of hoops I finally went to a real lumber yard. The manager there sold me the correct nails and got me in touch with the Paslode rep. I am now a happy camper.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slavin View Post
    satisfactorily operate is marked prominently on the box of nails.

While substantially interchangeable there are exceptions - particularly in the 15-16 gauge nails. Do not assume all nails of a same given length are fully compatible.

As to Greg's question - e.g. wouldn't work, only dimple - verify ample air pressure. If the nail is incompatible, results will most likely be a jam and you do NOT need that to ruin your day.
    The compressor is at 125PSI, and should be adequate. I will see if there is some other element that I am not familiar with on it, but I have no other explanation.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.