Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 BTU A/C Installed 21x20 Garage.

1. 10,000 BTU A/C Installed 21x20 Garage.

When I was interested in giving this a shot, I searched all of the forums on information related to installing a window unit as a method for cooling a garage. I got mixed data. Essentially comments like "It depends on the BTU, R-factor, Realtive temperature, etc"

So, I bit the bullet, and installed a 10,000 btu Frigidaire through a hole cut in the wall at 6' height. I have hardiplank on the outside, and 3/4" sheetrock on the inside with fiberglass batting inside the wall. My garage door is insualted with styrofoam sheet inserts. The cieling does not exist a and is open all the way to the rafters. (This is the part that I assumed would give me problems).

After I installed the A/C, I sealed up a few minor areas where cool air could escape and I also re-adjusted my garage door for a tighter fit when closed.

This weekend, outside temperature was 95F and inside my garage, the temperature was hovering around 75F.

Just for kicks, I left the A/C running all night set at 60F and this morning when I went in to check on things, the outside door knob was dripping condensation. It miraculously reached 62F during the night at some point.

So, from experience, I must say that with a window unit at 10,000 BTU, it is possible to get a 20F Degree difference in temperature in a ~400SqFt area with a little insulation in the walls.

If anyone is thinking about adding an A/C to their shop to survive the summer months (especially in the south), I'd reccomend it. My wife has already exclaimed, "No television out there". Yeah, its that comfy. Now I just need to find some nice bar stools, and install a bar, and maybe a used refrigerator and another cable box.... I mean, a new SCMS, Planer, and DC System....

Being into overkill, I just installed a 24,000 BTU unit in a 24x30 space. I am just putting this building together, so I haven't fired it up yet, but I am pretty sure it will do the job.

3. That should do the trick and then some. You may find yourself storing wine for your friends. I think the added factor of an air condiditoned shop will come in handy when doing laborious tasks such as using planes or hand sanding. The activities that causes one to work up a sweat when doing Woodworking will be much more enjoyable when you can keep your cool.
    Last edited by Jose Kilpatrick; 06-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Having the ability to keep the temperature within a decent range will also be good for any gluing and finishing you're doing, too...

Smile My shop is . . . .

My shop is 22' X 20' with a 10' ceiling . . . . It is very well insulated . . .

I started out with a 17,000 BTU unit . . . It could not cut it in the middle of the summer . . . . Based on calculations done by a HVAC engineer in our office that should have been plenty . . . .

Why it did not cut it . . . Me, being Mr. Overkill installed (24) twin bulb fluorescent light fixtures . . . My lights generate over 1850 watts of heat once you factor in the bulbs and the ballast. Although, I have a tremendous amount of light . . . operating room level of light . . . .there are no shadows anywhere in the shop . . . Remember, you have to factor in lighting, equipment & "people" . . . they all put out heat . . . .

Well, my solution was a bigger unit, 24,000 BTU . . . now the reverse problem, it short cycles and does not take the moisture out . . .

Ah! The finale solution . . . 75 pint a day dehumidifier . . . it pulls over 2 gallons a day out . . . I could not believe the amount of moisture it pulls. I am still emptying the reservoir daily . . . I need to hook up the drain hose and drain it outside.

The bright side of my folly, I can let it sit at 85 degrees & no moisture when not in the shop, walk in and have it down to 72 degrees with no moisture in just minutes . . . Not to mention, I can turn the lights out and have a heck of a walk in cooler if I so desire.
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 06-30-2008 at 5:47 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

My 30x24 shop with 10' ceilings is very well insulated. R-19 in the walls and R-40 in the ceiling. Yesterday it was 105º outside and 85º in the shop with NO A/C.

I'm going to install A/C someday.

There's no arguing that insulation helps and saves energy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

7. What a coincidence, I just installed a 12,000 BTU air conditioner in my garage today! I ended up getting a Samsung unit from Lowes for $200 and I’m very happy with it so far.

The thing I really like about the Samsung is the fact that it's a 10.8 SEER unit and very energy efficient. It also has the added bonus of a dehumidifier built in.
    Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 06-30-2008 at 8:16 PM.

I don't get a significant temperature drop in my shop with the window A/C unit I have, but it does get a bit of the humidity out of the air and that makes for a more comfortable work environment. I naturally enjoy "warm", but can't stand high humidity, so this works for me for the moment.

'Glad your new unit worked well!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smile My unit is also Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Thompson View Post
    What a coincidence, I just installed a 12,000 BTU air conditioner in my garage today! I ended up getting a Samsung unit from Lowes for $200 and I’m very happy with it so far.

The thing I really like about the Samsung is the fact that it's a 10.8 SEER unit and very energy efficient. It also has the added bonus of a dehumidifier built in.
    Mine does have the "dry" feature also . . . I used it once or twice when I forgot to empty the reservoir . . . The "dry" feature combined with the dehumidifier worked very well quickly . . .

Here in Louisiana it is hard to work in a non-air conditioned shop, but I know of several that do & I can only dream of ever producing the pieces they do . . .

I'll trade with you . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't get a significant temperature drop in my shop with the window A/C unit I have, but it does get a bit of the humidity out of the air and that makes for a more comfortable work environment. I naturally enjoy "warm", but can't stand high humidity, so this works for me for the moment.

'Glad your new unit worked well!
    I'll gladly trade you an air conditioned shop in Louisiana for anything in PA. My son lives in Harrisburg and it is beautiful there . . . So, uuuuuuuuuuh, so "America" looking . . . like readers when you are a kid . . . leaves changing, actual seasons . . .

We have two seasons, "warm wet winter & "hot wet summer" . . Oh, I almost forgot three or four bone chilling days that get down below freezing . . . .

What are you doing for a filter . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Kilpatrick View Post
    When I was interested in giving this a shot, I searched all of the forums on information related to installing a window unit as a method for cooling a garage. I got mixed data. Essentially comments like "It depends on the BTU, R-factor, Realtive temperature, etc"

So, I bit the bullet, and installed a 10,000 btu Frigidaire through a hole cut in the wall at 6' height. I have hardiplank on the outside, and 3/4" sheetrock on the inside with fiberglass batting inside the wall. My garage door is insualted with styrofoam sheet inserts. The cieling does not exist a and is open all the way to the rafters. (This is the part that I assumed would give me problems).

After I installed the A/C, I sealed up a few minor areas where cool air could escape and I also re-adjusted my garage door for a tighter fit when closed.

This weekend, outside temperature was 95F and inside my garage, the temperature was hovering around 75F.

Just for kicks, I left the A/C running all night set at 60F and this morning when I went in to check on things, the outside door knob was dripping condensation. It miraculously reached 62F during the night at some point.

So, from experience, I must say that with a window unit at 10,000 BTU, it is possible to get a 20F Degree difference in temperature in a ~400SqFt area with a little insulation in the walls.

If anyone is thinking about adding an A/C to their shop to survive the summer months (especially in the south), I'd reccomend it. My wife has already exclaimed, "No television out there". Yeah, its that comfy. Now I just need to find some nice bar stools, and install a bar, and maybe a used refrigerator and another cable box.... I mean, a new SCMS, Planer, and DC System....
    I would not trust the piece of "panty hose stretched acroos a plastic frame" they call a filter . . . Mine is currently fitted with a 12" X 24" 1" think pleated paper filter . . . . I checked air flow, no change detectable.

Just a suggestion . . . although you might have a fantastic dust collection system which I have not setup yet . . . . You might say, I have a fairly well equiped non-working shop . . . . I keep losing interest . . . then buy more equipment . . . then lose interest . . . . uuum! gotta fix that . .

I prefer overkill too when it comes to heat, since the laser generates some too. I have a 12,000 BTU unit and yesterday when it was 91 outside I kept it at a lovely 68 on low speed. Today was not quite as hot, just 88.

Just now I came up after it being off for 3+ hours and it's 82 in here. My shop is the size of a two-car garage but upstairs so the heat comes up.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Glad your Frigidaire is working for you Jose! My 24 X 24 shop is well insulated and a 7,000 BTU Roper would freeze you out if left on and turned down. It gave up after 15 years and I replaced it with an 8.000 BTU Frigidaire last week. Plenty of cooling, energy star efficient and has an electrostatic air cleaner in addition to the normal filter. That will be a nice feature to use when the old allergies act up! The down side to having an over sized AC is a cool temp but not removing the humidity as it should. It helps to use the slowest fan speed available when humidity removal is the main purpose for the unit.

Does your unit have the electronic controls with a remote? I can already tell that will be a cool feature (intentional play on words).
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My 30x24 shop with 10' ceilings is very well insulated. R-19 in the walls and R-40 in the ceiling. Yesterday it was 105º outside and 85º in the shop with NO A/C.

I'm going to install A/C someday.

There's no arguing that insulation helps and saves energy.
    I'm trying to figure out how I can either set up solar panels or a windmill generator to power "just" the A/C. That way I can leave it set around 78-80 when not using the shop and be able to maintain constant humidity control. This would also not impact any on the electric bill, as a stand alone system/

Anyone ever give this a thought or found a solution they want to share?

Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Has anyone tried using one of the 'portable' air conditioners in their shop. These vent through a hose installed in a window or wall. They come in various sizes with or without a heat pump for winter use. Here is a link to one at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/AMCOR-KF8000E-...4886967&sr=8-5 Not the one I would buy, just an example. Think I'd get one at Sam's with a heat pump ability. More expensive than a window unit but simpler installation in my case.