Thread: Dumb Finial Question

Dumb Finial Question

When making hollow forms with finials, do you ever glue the finial in place? Assume the answer is "no", but have never seen it specifically stated.
    Richard in Wimberley

Hi Richard, a good question, not dumb at all! The few times I have done finials, yes. On hollow forms, I've glued them on or in simply because I like a black ebony or contrasting wood to the box. I'd think it's fairly common to glue them, unless you really want the same wood all throughout, which is fine, too. But I do like that contrasted look to say a black finial and a lighter colored box. Just a thought. Hope you get lots of responses! Jude

Glued finial?

IMHO part of the appeal of HFs is to see and feel inside at the thinness. I guess you could count on the light weight to capture the attention, but that look into the abyss with the eye is the magic of the HF.
    Bob

Richard - I've only made a few finials but have not glued any of them in place. Like Bob mentioned - I think it is cool to be able to look inside the form and another reason for me is it only takes a little effort to turn another finial and change the overall look of an older hollow form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

At a recent turning symposium, one of the presentations was on finials for HFs. The demonstrator says he does not glue in. One of the advantages was making it easier and safer to ship or pack. He turned his finials so he could insert them upside down for shipping/packing.
    God is great and life is good!

I don't glue my finials in. I make the a snug fit so they can be taken out like Mike said for shipment.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've always thought they should be glued in. Otherwise it is more of a lid than a finial. But I've never heard of any rule so I'm sure it's a turners perogative. Most of the forms we turn have their roots in some sort of utility item that we've dressed up and polished to elevate it to a level of art. Glueing a finial into a vase (hollowform) seals it as an art form rather than a utility vase, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    IMHO part of the appeal of HFs is to see and feel inside at the thinness. I guess you could count on the light weight to capture the attention, but that look into the abyss with the eye is the magic of the HF.
    Bob
    WHAAAAAAAT?????

Certainly most HF's are intended as "art" pieces, not to be used as containers. So there's no utilitarian value to a removeable finial. But as Robert said, the only way to confirm the great hollowing skill of the turner is by looking and feeling inside.

Hope we hear from additional experienced HF-ers on this.
    Richard in Wimberley