Thread: I got the permission slip filled for the Jet Mini

Smile I got the permission slip filled for the Jet Mini. Help with a good chuck

Talked the little lady into letting Me get the Jet Mini lathe and some accessories!! I orderd it last night
    This is my first lathe so Im starting out with the jet Mini its not the VS but for 199.99 I think it's the best choice for my budget. I also orderd the extension for it
    I orderd the 8pc HSS turning set from HF I read some posts That said it was A good starter set
    Im trying to find a good chuck to go with it. It seems most are around $200 or more. WC has a nova compac chuck $94.99 for the mini lathes but they are out of stock. they are made by Teknatools so I did some research and I found that they have stoped production because of some problems with them.
    Who has the best price on chucks? Or any other suggestions Or brands that works well with the mini lathes.
    What brand do you use?
    Also whats a good sharpening jig To purchase
    Thank You, Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 04-20-2004 at 12:42 AM.

Hi Jim

Don't forget safety and hands on instruction.

There are two big concerns about safety: Blunt force trauma and wood dust damage to your lungs. There are a LOT of ways to protect yourself from these two hazards. The more you do now the less you will be forced to do latter. This is to say that good protection now may eliminate the need for excellent (read VERY EXPENSIVE) protection latter.

Woodturning is unlike other woodworking activities. Getting some hands on instruction can make a HUGE difference in producing work that you enjoy vs enduring the learning curve.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Jim,

I know you will enjoy your new toys. The mini is an excellent choice for a first lathe. Even if you upgrade to a larger lathe later, you'll likely keep the mini for the small stuff.

I've had the same Harbor Freight set of tools for more than a year. You can't beat them for that price. I still use them all although I've reground a couple into different countours. These are intended for sipindle turning so if you plan on doing bowls, you'll need to add a bowl gouge. I've added a 1/2" spindle gouge to the set that I use on pens as well as a bowl scraper and thinner parting tool. However, the original set still gets a lot of use.

I have the Teknatool Super Nova chuck and have been very happy with it. It will work well on a mini and will also work on a larger lathe if you buy one in the future.

The Oneway grinding jigs and an 8" slow speed grinder from Woodcraft make a great combination for sharpening all your tools with a consistent edge.

Finally, listen to Richard on the safety issues. I always wear a full face clear mask (Harbor Freight and a bunch of other vendors) and have really thanked myself a couple of times when it deflected some spinning chunks of wood. Don't turn anything bigger than a pen without one!

Along with hands on training, there are many good videos and books out there too. Take advantage of these before you get too far. It will significantly lower your frustration level and speed your learning pace.

As usual, I have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers or vendors above.

Stand by to have fun and spend more $$$!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

JIm,

I ordered a chuck for my mini lathe from penn state. It was around $50. After showing it to the club, thay wished we would have bought it instead of the ones we have. It has a wide range on the jaws. It also has interchanagble threads for different spindles. Have fun

Just orderd the onway talon chuck w/h 1x8tpi #2 jawset. an also orderd the #1 jawset, and got a free block plane to boot.

Jim