Thread: Will this compressor work for an HVLP sprayer?

Will this compressor work for an HVLP sprayer?

I've got a big siding job to do and am looking at this DeWalt compressor for powering my roofing nailer...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...168&lks=tlbs2a

I know it'll handle all my nailers. But will it also work for an HVLP sprayer?

Jason

It would for mine but if you just compare two bits of supplied information, you can answer your own question with confidence. 1] What is the air volume required by the spray equipment? This number will be expressed as x SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute) @ a given pressure. 2] What is the air volume production of the compressor? This will also be expressed as x SCFM @ a given pressure.
    Storage capacity and horsepower are irrelevant in this consideration.

Ed

I don't yet own an HVLP gun, so I'm afraid I can't answer my own question.

I just don't want to buy this compressor and find it's not enough for the majority of HVLP guns down the line.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Peters View Post
    It would for mine but if you just compare two bits of supplied information, you can answer your own question with confidence. 1] What is the air volume required by the spray equipment? This number will be expressed as x SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute) @ a given pressure. 2] What is the air volume production of the compressor? This will also be expressed as x SCFM @ a given pressure.
    Storage capacity and horsepower are irrelevant in this consideration.

Ed

You might make it with what is now being called an LVLP gun, or low velocity low pressure. Check out Asturo spray equipment or contact Target Coatings, who sells a good LVLP gun from an Italian manufacturer who's name I cannot remember and is not updated on their site (I spoke with them at a recent show). Some of these guns will perform on as little as 4.5 CFM's at around 30psi IIR. You might have to call Target Coatings to get more info if its criticl to your decision making process as I see they still have not added the new guns to their site but claimed they were available for sale in May.

Most older HVLP guns, not very likely, probably not continuously, and possibly not for many hours before you cook the compressor. I seem to remember most taking 7-9CFM's at 40PSI when I bought mine, and some as much as 13CFM's at 40 PSI. But with the present generation, just possibly.

I think it will work just fine for most hvlp spray guns, I have a 50$ gun that I purchased from my local parts store and a 10 gallon pump style compressor and it works like a champ, sprayed cabinets and furniture, laquer and shellac and have had very nice results.

I use a 11 gallon compressor for my HVLP gun. I run it at 25psi. The compressor you pointed out will work just fine.

Don't assume any HVLP gun will work with your compressor. As Ed said, the air volume requirement of the gun is the important thing. Some HVLP guns require as much as 15 CFM at 30 to 40 PSI. There's no way your compressor will work with a gun like that. Many of the newer HVLP guns are designed to work at much lower air volumes. If you're shopping for a gun, you should be able to find a gun that will work with your compressor pretty easily. Peter suggested getting in touch with Target Coatings. Good suggestion . Another great place to look is Jeff Jewett's company, Homestead Finishing Products http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/. Jeff is a good resource and would be happy to help you find a gun. He often has great specials and close outs on equipment. I bought a really good HVLP gun from him several months ago. It was an overstock and had a huge mark down.

Hank
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 07-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.

probably. I have about the same size tank and use it all the time for HVLP. You turn down the pressure into the gun to 20 psi or so and the compressor seems to keep up just fine.

I have that exact compressor. I have used it a few times with my Kremlin gun. It works fine, the compressor cycles frequently, but I've never run out of air. I'm not sure I would want to spray a whole set of kitchen cabinets with it, but for a single piece of furniture or something like that I think it is fine.

One other thing to consider is noise. The Dewalt compressor is VERY loud. They claim its quiet, but I think I'll respectfully disagree with them on that. Still, its a nice compressor with a small footprint and small tank that delivers performance of a slightly larger unit.

I have a compressor rated at 7.2 @ 90 and use it with a HF 43430 gun. For learning how to spray and small jobs it has served me well. If you have a large area to spray, like a bookcase, the compressor runs constantly but never fails to supply enough air. I mostly got tired of the noisy airless compressor. I watched CL and found a deal on a turbine system, but, like others mentioned there are guns that require less air but they can run you well over $200. If you don't mind a fixed base/220V machine I have seen my Lowes has a C-H 60 gal. oiled/cast iron compressor for about $100 more than the DeWalt. Also, if you have 220V and want something smaller I have seen HF has a 30 gal. compressor with a large pump (11.4 @ 90) for around $400.

Nice tips on spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    You might make it with what is now being called an LVLP gun, or low velocity low pressure. Check out Asturo spray equipment or contact Target Coatings, who sells a good LVLP gun from an Italian manufacturer who's name I cannot remember and is not updated on their site (I spoke with them at a recent show). Some of these guns will perform on as little as 4.5 CFM's at around 30psi IIR. You might have to call Target Coatings to get more info if its criticl to your decision making process as I see they still have not added the new guns to their site but claimed they were available for sale in May.

Most older HVLP guns, not very likely, probably not continuously, and possibly not for many hours before you cook the compressor. I seem to remember most taking 7-9CFM's at 40PSI when I bought mine, and some as much as 13CFM's at 40 PSI. But with the present generation, just possibly.
    The manufacturer name you may be thinking of is "Asturo" (as they are commonly known, the full name is "asturo originali maves").

They make a number of nice guns.