Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pulls?

How many pulls?

How many pulls would you put on the drawer in the cab that's on the right in each photo? The cabinet on the left is part of a set of cabinets that friends gave us from their old kitchen (they're only 4 yrs old) and we're recycling them in ours. We had to buy the one of the right and now need to add the matching hardware (the color match is better than it looks in the pic). The cab on the left is 27" wide, the one on the right is 24" wide, if that helps at all.
    --Rob
    IMG_S3b_0095.JPG

IMG_S3b_0098.JPG

IMG_S3b_0099.JPG

I vote for two.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

2 for sure

Two , as the precedent was set by the existing cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Two , as the precedent was set by the existing cabinet.

Ditto.............

Thanks, that's what we thought. But now I need some advice on those lower doors, cause I just made a careless mistake. No, I didn't drill one of the holes for the knob in the wrong place, but I came close. On one of the doors I measured off the wrong edge--the one with the hinges--and made a nice indentation to help my drill bit get started. When I went to drill it stuck me as odd that I would be drilling into the hinge, and then I realized what I had done.

Would steaming be worth a try? I've never done it, but read about it. The doors rails/stiles are solid wood, painted.

Oh, one more question for future reference. Whoever put on the original hardware aligned those semicircular drawer pulls so that they are a bit more lateral than the centers of each door. Is that typical? If I were building them, or installing the hardware myself starting from scratch, my inclination would be to line them up with the middle of the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post

Would steaming be worth a try?

I've never done it, but read about it. The doors rails/stiles are solid wood, painted.
    I would not try it on a paint piece it will force water into the wood , IF it can get past the paint IN the dent you made , and that will more than likely screw up the painted finish.

One time filler and touch paint . Maybe Bondo if the dent is larger than you let on it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post

#1: Whoever put on the original hardware aligned those semicircular drawer pulls

#2: so that they are a bit more lateral than the centers of each door. Is that typical? If I were building them, or installing the hardware myself starting from scratch, my inclination would be to line them up with the middle of the doors.
    Commonly called "bail pulls" the Rockler catalog calls them "cup pulls " a term I've never heard used for those.

#2: Yes I'd say so , those pulls are about 3" to 6" in from the drawers end is common , a "shoulders width" apart. Making them more ergonomic so to say.

One thing about pulls and knobs , there pretty much is " No wrong way" IF the owner is happy.

Some like it one way, some another , so what ever floats thier collective boats eh!

But IMO those your showing are about right , and "generally" with two pulls like that once you choose a "set back" (IE 3" , 4 " or what ever ) from the drawer ends you stick with it regardless of the door width below, if that make sense to you.

Blog Entries
    Two would be my choice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just to throw a wrench in the works, I vote one. It goes against my sense of balance and all, but I think it looks better, based on the pics you posted. You could always switch the existing drawer to one pull as well.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Just to throw a wrench in the works, I vote one. It goes against my sense of balance and all, but I think it looks better, based on the pics you posted. You could always switch the existing drawer to one pull as well.
    I like the look of just one pull. Clifford

I look the like of one pull, too; the look seems to step out more evenly than cramming two pulls onto the shorter drawer front. One pull is certainly more convenient in use.

And don't forget, all great art is asymmetric .

Two pulls - symetry is a good thing.

I like the looks of the one pull better but the three pulls will not be the same distance apart so I have to go with 2. If you could move the 2 existing ones so they would all be the same distance apart without showing the holes I would go with 1.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project