Thread: How to paint a Piano?

How to paint a Piano?

I have a small upright piano (not an antique, got it second-hand), which I am considering painting. The current finish is the usual: dark brown stain and varnish (gloss but now a bit dull). I'd like to paint it white (mainly to make the dark room lighter). I can't move it outside and I can't generate fumes (due to newborn), and I have space/time constraints; therefore, although I suspect an oil-based primer and paint would be best, I am leaning towards a water-borne primer and water-borne paint, both 100% acrylic. I have a Benjamin Moore store nearby and would strongly prefer to use BM products (e.g. 100% acrylic primer, or if needed, prime with alkyd-based undercoater, and then water-borne Satin Impervo). However, I am open to buy another brand if needed.

My plan so far: Sand with 220, prime with BM All-purpose 100% acrylic primer (with some later XIM X-tender, sand with 220, first coat of BM water-borne Satin Impervo (with some latex XIM X-tender), sand with 220, second coat of Impervo. If necessary, I can use the alkyd undercoater, but would prefer not to. I'll use a top-quality synthetic brush (brand?). Due to space constraints, I cannot spray.

This link recommends Fine Paints of Europe Eco line. Is that reasonable?:
    http://hometeamtotherescue.homemag.com/blog/2007/02/painting_the_pi.html

Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

It sounds like you are on the right track with water based paints. I would recommend using a low voc paint. Volatile organic compounds can be bad to breathe, especially for children. Benjamin Moore probably has a line of low voc paint. For brushes I like Wooster but most paint stores have a line of pro brushes. Get a good quality brush and clean with soap and water and store in packaging it comes in and it will last for a long time. Good luck.

Try your finishing schedule on some scrap first to make sure that you're happy with it. Unless you do a fantastic job you will lower the resale value of the piano.

The 100% acrylic Impervo or Sherwin Williams Pro-Classic 100% acrylic would both be good choices. You'll need to lightly sand the entire piano after a thorough cleaning to get rid of any waxes or polish residue and apply the "right" primer. Your paint store should guide you on that as there are a number of different primers with different properties.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...