Thread: Having trouble seeing pictures.

Having trouble seeing pictures.

I have a computer running Windows Vista. I have been running IE explorer and can see pictures here at SMC fine. I don't like IE so I installed Safari. I can see avatars and some pictures but most of the pictures here show up as a blue box with a white question mark inside. I assume it is some kind of Plug in that I need but I don't know what to use or where to get it. I have visited some other forums and can see the pictures there with no problem. Any advice would be appreciated. I can see advertisements fine, it is just the pictures in the threads that do not work. I have checked and am signed in.

Thanks.

David,

If you are talking about this little blue box?
    safari_bluebox.jpg

This is the error message that popped up on mine:
    safari_plugin.jpg

I haven't found a fix for that yet, but a MIME Type plug-in is missing in order to see correctly. You could try FireFox version 3 which works rather well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

David / Dennis, the ads at the top of the page appear to use Java. The new pop-up window for pictures probably do as well. In-line posting should not be affected as it only uses HTML there.

To get plug-ins for Safari, go here: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/plugins.html and download the Java plug-in.

EDIT: Ooops...David, I went back and actually read what you posted. Can you give an example of a thread where you can't see an in-line picture. Maybe it's a hosted picture somewhere else and that's causing the problem.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 07-06-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: re-read OP's problem

Dennis, you are absolutely correct. That is what I see. Don, If you go to the workshop forums I can see the picture in the downdraft table thread. I can not see the pictures in new garage workshop long thread. What I see is what Dennis has shown in his reply. Sorry I don't yet know how to post a link. There are many threads where I cannot see the pictures. I appreciate your help. I guess I will have to try another browser for smc.

Thanks.

David, that's REALLY odd. The photos you can see are the ones which are hosted off-site. Specifically the one in the downdraft table is hosted on photobucket. The ones you can not see are the ones which have been uploaded to SMC.

Sorry David, but I'm at a loss. Usually it's the other way around. Not sure why it won't let you see the photos that are hosted on the SMC server.

For what it's worth, I use Firefox at home and love it. No problems what so ever, even after upgrading to version 3. At work I'm stuck with Internet Explorer and it works fine as well (though I can't see any off-SMC hosted photos as the Navy blocks third-party picture hosting sites, like Photobucket).

Sorry I can not be of further assistance. You've stumped me

Be well,

Doc

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.