Thread: What type of glue

What type of glue

My wife did some scroll saw work that she wants to put on a mirror. What type of glue should we use to glue the wood to the mirror?

Thanks in advance.

Harold

Wood moves, glass less so. I think any adhesive which connects wood to glass should remain flexible. Maybe small pieces of scroll work are not a problem, you won't know until it is a problem. Perhaps CA (super glue) or epoxy would work. Glass is not porous so the adhesive must make a contact bond, not a chemical bond like yellow glue.

I have attached picture frames to existing mirrors using clear silicone adhesive (tub and bath type). It is a very tenacious bond once cured and allows for wood movement. This is my preference for larger pieces which will experience movement.

Be careful not to get ANY of your chosen adhesive on the silver chrome backing of the mirror as some solvents in adhesives can etch this coating in an irregular way showing ghosts on the front side. They make a mirror mastic for the purpose of attaching mirrors to a substrate if that is neccessary.

Blog Entries
    Best adhesive for glue is silicone bathtub sealant. Use a small amount as a little goes a long way. It will stick like crazy to the glass and will let the wood move as the seasons change.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Triple on the silicone.

After rebuilding a fish tank by completely removing the bottom and re-attaching it with silicone I am completely sold on the strength of the bond it makes.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"