Thread: Is there any use for 36 grit sandpaper?

Question Is there any use for 36 grit sandpaper?

I just recently purchased 10 Lb Bargain Box of sandpaper from Klingspor. It contains leftovers from their big rolls. The description says Coarse/Medium/Fine.

All in all it really is a bargain. Using an old pair of scissors I cut all of it into usable rectangles with about a 5" width and lengths varying from 5" to 10". I have grits ranging from 80, 100, 120, 150, 220, 320.

However, there was a fair amount of 36 and 40 grit paper.

I can't imagine what I would do with anything this coarse. It's like gravel glued to paper. It's currently sitting at the curb waiting for the garbage truck tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a use for this stuff?

i use stuff like that to try and clean up some tearout on end grain when turrning

36 grit!

Jeff,
    Up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin, we find a use for EVERYTHING. I always keep a roll of 36 grit handy in the outhouse for when "relatives" decide to pay us a "surprise" visit.

I agree that the Klingspor "Bargain Box" is a good deal. Suffice it to say that it may not ALL be useful. Even if I have to go to 60 grit for ANYTHING (I HATE sanding), I figure that my saw blade(s) need some work.

Jeff, count your savings and leave the "coarse" stuff on the curb.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Jeff, I use 36/40 grit more than you would think.

I use it in conjunction with rasps and files for heay stock removal on non-flat contours. If you are just doing "flat" work (board and sheet goods), it probably won't be of any use to you, unless you have thick paint to remove.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to drive 36 grit by hand too much. You could glue a piece about 3" x 10" to a piece of wood and use it for fast and heavy round overs or distressing edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    I just recently purchased 10 Lb Bargain Box of sandpaper from Klingspor. It contains leftovers from their big rolls. The description says Coarse/Medium/Fine.

All in all it really is a bargain. Using an old pair of scissors I cut all of it into usable rectangles with about a 5" width and lengths varying from 5" to 10". I have grits ranging from 80, 100, 120, 150, 220, 320.

However, there was a fair amount of 36 and 40 grit paper.

I can't imagine what I would do with anything this coarse. It's like gravel glued to paper. It's currently sitting at the curb waiting for the garbage truck tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a use for this stuff?
    Sure do. It's for removing floor finishes. Heck, if we have a severely out-of-flat (dips, grooves, uneven thickness boards) floor, we start with a 24-grit belt on our 12" floor belt sander (7.5hp!!--Super Hummel). Now, we haven't had the need yet, but there are 12-grit belts available....

The reason for such an aggressive grit is that when you are removing lots of finish like that, the finish tends to quickly clog a belt if it is too fine of a grit, greatly reducing efficiency. What happens is that there is more surface contact with a finer belt, which translates to more friction (the machine turns at a constant speed regardless of the belt on there). More friction means you get to the point of actually melting the finish, which contributes greatly to clogging.

Even with the 24-grit on a relatively flat floor, we often have to make more than a down-and-back pass over some areas to get all the finish off. After that, it's all about reducing the scratches. Typical floor sanding doesn't go over 100-120 grit then.

Does that answer your question?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've got some abrasive planing to do with my Performax, and 36 or 40 grit would be a great place to start for something like that!

Bill

I use 24 grit on a right angle grinder all the time to "vaporize" wood. If I have a glue block on a large turning that can't be safely reverse mounted on the lathe 24 grit will take care of the glue block in less than 5 minutes (in a cloud of dust).

I needed to smoth out a spot to pur a 6" faceplate the other day. I removed 3/4" of wet wood in about 3 minutes. What a terrific tool. Fast safe and easy to control.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away