Thread: Flex hose and HVAC ducting? How to stretch that flex hose

Flex hose and HVAC ducting? How to stretch that flex hose

For those of you that used HVAC ducting and fittings for your DC system you may have noticed that flex hose will not easilly fit over it. In many cases I have cut a 1 1/2" slit into the flex hose to slip it over the HVAC fitting
    The hose I use has a nylon helix in it that does not stretch even when heated.
    Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem? Developed a way of stretching the hose to easilly slip overfittings?

Is it possible for you to crimp the HVAC fittings so the flex will fit over it?
    David B

There's a crimper sold wherever you bought the HVAC duct. It somewhat like a big pair of pliers, but it makes crimps around the end of the duct, just like the OEM crimps. You can use it to crimp the duct you want to slip the flex over.

Blog Entries
    Yep, crimp it, then slip the hose over.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with the crimp, but do it carefully...only crimp enough to get a slip fit of the hose. Too much and you get a major lip that can catch stringy shavings. It's better to slightly crimp all the way around than to do a few "major" bends, if you know what I mean...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've found that that a coupler has the right OD for flex hose. Otherwise, a very light crimping will do. Do it just slightly so the flex hose goes on tightly. Then fasten with self tapping screws and seal with goop and/or tape

Thanks for all the replys Gentlemen!

I know about the crimp/coupling idea.... Was just hoping for a ingeanous way to stretch that hose!!! Kinda like a boot stretcher!!!

C

You might try a hair dryer, Chris, and see if it loosens it up enough to "stretch"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...