Thread: Dressers Finished

Dressers Finished

While it’s not fine woodworking by any stretch of the imagination, I finally finished the two dressers for our daughter. Actually there was very little woodworking involved, as the dressers were used student dressers from Ball State University. I purchased them last fall and started the project then with some long delays. The only woodworking consisted of replacing the tops, as the original tops were Formica, and a little repair to the cases. The cool thing is they are solid oak, with popular dust trays, and oak plywood dovetailed draw boxes with solid fronts. The drawer fronts are routed on the top and bottom for a pull, but we found some Disney princess drawer pulls we thought our daughter might like. The drawer boxes were sanded and sealed, and the cases and drawer fronts painted – DID I SAY I HATE T O PAINT. I wanted to spray them last fall, but the weather got ahead of me, so in trying to get them done I brushed them. Easily the worse paint job I ever did, it seemed like the paint fought me every step of the way. In the end I guess they are passable, but I ended up with way to much paint on the surfaces, so I’m afraid I have some chipping. I did the case in oil, but cheated and did the drawers in latex (it still seems a bit soft – so hopefully it will harden up a bit more). The main lessons from this project are if you must paint then spray. Thanks for looking.

John

Well Hey, John,

They look real nice. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the painted coloring.

- Ed

Hey John,
    Well done. I have had the same problem with paints recently. I had a can that was two years old - went on smooth as silk. The new cans of paint were a real pain. I'm not sure if it's cost cutting, or EPA regs but I have noticed a difference as well.

I think your daughter will really enjoy them. I'm always amused to find out what people remember from childhood - I think these dressers will be a lasting memory. (They're built well enough, your grandkids may be enjoying them!)

Wes

Holy Cow!! Be sure to position those things next to exit doors in case the lights go out - you can just follow the GLOW!!! MAN! What color!!

Nobody will ever say you are afraid of a little color!!

Thanks guys, but Kim picked the colors. They should be functional if nothing else, it's amazing how many clothes a 4-1/2 year old girl can have.

John