Thread: Got a few old planes gloat

Got a few old planes gloat

My grandfather plied his trade as a carpenter and handyman in San Diego after he returned from D-day, France, and a tour in the Pacific. I never really knew him except as a gruff, grumpy codger who thought children ought to be silent observers. There was a smelly old army uniform hanging in the closet, but he never spoke about those years, at least when when I was around. By the time I'd worn my uniform and knew what questions to ask, dementia had stolen most of his memories, and he no longer recognized his grandchildren anyway.

My dad told him that I'd taken up woodworking as a hobby after college, and that I was working with planes and hand tools. I had a collection of shiny L-N and Stanley toys, and Grampa sent me some dogmeat transition planes that I put on the mantle -- by that time, I'd given in to the shrill siren song of the powered mortiser, the tailed planer, and several very loud routers. I sent him a few completed projects, a working wooden lock and key, one of the deadblow hammers I made, stuff like that.

Dad's been cleaning out Grampa's garage during the past few trips down there, picking through the collected flotsam of a life begun dirt-broke on an Idaho dustbowl farm. I declined when asked if I wanted any of the tools -- an old Craftsman spindle lathe, a portable table saw resembling the unholy union of a skilsaw and a sawhorse, 60's and 70's era junktoolstuff that would just clutter my small shop and probably be a hazard to already endangered fingers. Besides, lately I've been interested in the quieter hand tools again, thinking about the journey described by Frid and Krenov, Kirby and Hack; maybe I'll finally read my copy of Rose's Village Carpenter.

Mom & Dad came up for the 4th this year, with a truckbed mostly full of boxes. Dad decided to bundle up a bunch of Grampa's tools for sorting, to decide what I wanted for myself. I shuffled all the plastic boxes to the woodshop, silently calculating how much freeboard the garbage cans have each week and trying not to gag on the odor of stale cat urine and musty newspapers: "Kissenger tells off NATO" and "Teenage gang terrorizes Chino". Briefly distracted by an article quoting Gov Carter describing Gov Brown as "too much like Ronald Reagan", I leave the boxes for another day.

Fast-forward to this morning, a good day for general shop cleanup and to sort through the boxes of expected router bits, dogmeat chisels and worn-out files, see if there's anything worth putting in the thriftstore box. Open the first box and find . . . molding planes? Another one contains hollows and rounds. The next one holds coffins, another groovers and rabbets. An assortment of beading planes, spokeshaves, augur bits, a handmade case of mortise chisels of myriad widths. There's a 45, a 50, a wooden plow plane that looks like my Knight prototype but even prettier. I only find 2 or 3 without cutters or wedges, some are quite worn but mostly in good shape with plenty of patina and history. SWMBO hears the whooping and comes running, assuming the bandsaur finally found the thumbsnack for which it's hungered.

I guess Grampa's gonna teach me something about woodworking, after all.

No pictures, didn't happen, right?

While I was sorting them for a picture, one plane was a lot heavier. Looks like an infill plane made of steel and mahogany. Iron says Rob't Sorby, plane body says Henry Hunt.

Looks like a nice Pile...
    I know it would make me very happy, I hope you enjoy using them...
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Blog Entries
    Sweet...

jim

Must be Great!

You must feel like a 10year old that was given free reign to santas toy factory.

Enjoy them and never forget the man behind those tools. Even if you do not have the fondest of memories I am sure he was a good man like all woodworkers.

What a Treasure !

In many ways !!!

Good Kharma right there. Obviously meant to be.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Congratulations on the find of tools and the connection to family.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

You've got a bit of cleanup ahead of you Jon, but when you're done life will be really sweet. Family tools are always the best tools. It's a gret connection to the past. Congratulations!!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

If you don't have this yet http://http://www.kramerize.com/using_on_wood.htm

I would recommend getting some for all that wood you have acquired, It works wonders on old tools!

Old Tools

Wow !!! and WOW !!! again. What treasures. I'm sure I speak for many when I say how envious I am. TO get such a gift and then to start remembering and thinking about him as you restore each back to usefullness.

Perhaps you will be able to continue the path some day and pass on this treasure trove to another in the family line.

Thanks for sharing.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Fantastic story...oh and the hardware is great too!!

Bruce

Nice collection you got from Gramps. Grampas tools mean a lot to me as I'm sure they will you too. Everytime you pick one up Grampa will be right there with you. Sweet.
    The older I get the faster I was.

Legacy

What your grandfather has left you is a legacy of a life of woodworking. Cherish those tools.

Ron Brese

looks like in one of the pictures you've got a nice coffin shaped veneering plane. If the blade is toothed (which it almost certainly has to be), then you got yourself one gem of a plane..