Thread: Woodworking Newbie mini-gloat

Woodworking Newbie mini-gloat

So I finally talked the boss into letting me get some toys to play with around the house. I had $100 bucks to spend, so I was planning on getting an el-cheapo table saw. I looked at the new performax line at Menards, but just wasn't that impressed.

Well yesterday morning I checked out Craigslist and it turns out there was an elderly gentleman getting ready to move to an assisted living community, and couldn't take his tools with him. So for $100 bucks I got the following.

A craftsman limited edition 2.7 HP 10" table saw

A 3/4 HP craftsman router

A set of Craftsman 1/4" collet router bits

A Craftsman Multi-Purpose router guide that acts as an edge guide and circle guide.

A craftsman excalibur dado blade set.

And a set of 8 additional craftsman blades

I know these aren't super high quality tools but I think I got a pretty good deal for someone just starting out. I'm happy about it.

Great Gloat !

Looks like you can get off to a good start with those tools. And I'm sure the gentleman who sold them is happy to see them put to use instead of getting trashed.

And the tradition continues. Have fun and be safe.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Sometimes the stars align and you get what you want for less than you thought. Great gloat.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

You'll get some mileage out of all those tools. The best thing is that they'll really make you knowledgable about the features you appreciate if/when you choose to upgrade.

Shoot, in a couple years, you can probably sell the whole lot for even more than $100.

Good catch. I had that TS. Watch the fence, my fence did not square up repeatably without measuring front and back each time.

Omgosh, I had one of those routers for 20 yrs and it was still going strong when I gave it away. No idea how old your's is, but I'll bet it will still outlast most of what C'Man has been selling the last 10 yrs. Good find.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    You'll get some mileage out of all those tools. The best thing is that they'll really make you knowledgable about the features you appreciate if/when you choose to upgrade.

Shoot, in a couple years, you can probably sell the whole lot for even more than $100.
    Your probably right! I do the same thing with golf clubs on ebay. Buy em cheap from people who finally figure out they aren't Tiger Woods and sell em for a profit. Haven't lost money yet!

The router actually came with a router table too, but I gave it to a neighbor since I don't have room for a router table.

Hopefully next weekend I may be making saw dust!

Blog Entries
    No one can argue the 'bang for the buck' ratio there. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    Omgosh, I had one of those routers for 20 yrs and it was still going strong when I gave it away. No idea how old your's is, but I'll bet it will still outlast most of what C'Man has been selling the last 10 yrs. Good find.
    I have that router too. Funny thing is back then I was told "Craftsman is not what it use to be" It's junk LOL!!!