Thread: Bandsaw Fence Recommendations...

Bandsaw Fence Recommendations...

I have a Jet 18" bandsaw and don't care for the OEM fence. I was considering buying the Kreg BS fence, but found out that it's recommended for 14" bandsaws. Do any of you guys use the Kreg fence on an 18" BS? If not the Kreg, then which fence system would you recommend? (I already contacted Laguna about their DriftMaster, but was told some major modifications to my BS table needed to be done in order to install it.) Thanks!

Wood magazine tested the Kreg and Woodhaven fences in this month's (9/2008) editor test. The Kreg seemed to be preferred over the Wood haven. I had a Kreg on my old crapsman BS. It was the best part of the bandsaw. I hate that I sold it with the BS. The kreg fence is quite long and would surely fit a 18" saw. If not, the fence is the standard Kreg extrusion available up to 48" long. The Wood haven uses their heavy duty extrusion also. It would be available up to 48" as well.

BTW I looked at the Laguna. Too pricy for a fence in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Kila View Post
    I have a Jet 18" bandsaw and don't care for the OEM fence. I was considering buying the Kreg BS fence, but found out that it's recommended for 14" bandsaws. Do any of you guys use the Kreg fence on an 18" BS? If not the Kreg, then which fence system would you recommend? (I already contacted Laguna about their DriftMaster, but was told some major modifications to my BS table needed to be done in order to install it.) Thanks!
    I was able to retrofit a Kreg Bandsaw fence to my Rikon saw.
    The Rikon has threaded holes underneath the table to hold the original fence (as opposed to threaded holes on the side). So, The Kreg fence was attached to a piece of aluminum "angle iron", and I was able to to attach to my BS.. Also, Kreg sells a longer piece of the T-slotted "fence". I bought that as well, since my 18" table is larger than the 14" table.

I don't know how the Jet fence attaches, but I'm sure you could rig a Kreg fence to it.

Blog Entries
    My 14" Delta came without a fence. I purchased a Fasttrack Fence in Canada and it has worked very well. The fence is hiughly adjustable, goes on and off easily, can be swicted from left hand to rioght hand and has a resaw guide incorporated.

Fasttrack Fence

I don't think you can get the Fasttrack fence any longer, but it is nearly identical with the Kreg Fence except the Kreg fence is anodized in a blue color.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What do you do for large resawing with the kreg fence? is there a 6" or 12" version of it?
    -=Jason=-

I have a Jet 18" bandsaw and don't care for the OEM fence.
    I have the same saw and I am curious about what you don't like about the fence.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My 14" Delta came without a fence. I purchased a Fasttrack Fence in Canada and it has worked very well. The fence is hiughly adjustable, goes on and off easily, can be swicted from left hand to rioght hand and has a resaw guide incorporated.

Fasttrack Fence

I don't think you can get the Fasttrack fence any longer, but it is nearly identical with the Kreg Fence except the Kreg fence is anodized in a blue color.
    I have the Fasttrack fence on my 14" Jet. It works well unless I push into it, because it deflects rater easily. And mine doesn't adjust easily for drift.
    Sam/Atlanta

Chris,
    I've always had a difficult time locking the fence into place. And adjusting for drift every time I change blades has been more than a little frustrating. I heard so much about the Kreg fence that I thought I'd give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers View Post
    I have the Fasttrack fence on my 14" Jet. It works well unless I push into it, because it deflects rater easily. And mine doesn't adjust easily for drift.
    All aluminum fences will deflect if you push on them. My Fasttrack came with several small brass washers on the bolts that hold the fence to the cross slide bracket. By placing one or more of these washers between the front or rear bolt and the fence as needed you can easily adjust for blade drift. Normally when ripping, I draw a line on the piece and use the resaw guide to stay in the middle. Band saw blades tend to follow the path of least resistance when cutting and will follow soft grain off the cut line. By using the resaw guide I can compensate for the drift which will vary along the length of the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What do you do for large resawing with the kreg fence? is there a 6" or 12" version of it?
    Kreg has a 7" attachment for larger resawing.

Chris,
    I've always had a difficult time locking the fence into place. And adjusting for drift every time I change blades has been more than a little frustrating. I heard so much about the Kreg fence that I thought I'd give it a try.
    My experience has been that the drift is just about zero and I have never had to allow for it. I wonder why the two saws are so different? Maybe it is because I am in the Southern hemisphere and you are not Just put the round bar on the fence and follow the pencil line.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

IMO the DriftMaster is a stellar fence and its quality easily justifies its price. I replaced the Wood Haven with the Kreg on my 14" but they're toys compared to the Driftmaster. Unfortunately, my saw is so old and underpowered the Driftmaster would be overkill.

At a woodworking show earlier this summer I was told by the Laguna rep the the fence now fits most other brands. I would look into the modifications required for your tool. If it's simply a matter of an interface plate or drilling some new mounting holes on your table I wouldn't hesitate.

Vic

You might consider building your own. I built one from plans I got from American Woodworker magazine a couple of years ago. Works well, has a good drift adjustment, is easy to add attachments to, and very inexpensive.

I made a simple fence I clamp to the table for resaw, works well, costs pennies, saved my money for wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    All aluminum fences will deflect if you push on them. My Fasttrack came with several small brass washers on the bolts that hold the fence to the cross slide bracket. By placing one or more of these washers between the front or rear bolt and the fence as needed you can easily adjust for blade drift.
    Lees, when I said it deflects rather easily, what I meant was that it deflects very, very easily. Just the pressure necessary to keep the stock against the fence will cause it to deflect. So, I often end up clamping a block of wood to the table to be sure the fence doesn't move too much.

As far as the washers, that's not what I call and easy adjustment. I'd prefer something that doesn't require me to unmount the rail from the table.

All things considered, I'm not thrilled with the FastTrack fence. If I had it to do over again, Id probably build my own from one of the many plans that have appeared in the magazines over the years.

Sam.
    Sam/Atlanta