Thread: Looking for Drum Sander Advise...

Question Looking for Drum Sander Advise...

For now, I need to get a smaller drum sander and have been looking at the Jet 10-20 and either the Grizzly or Shop Fox 13" closed end models.

Does anyone have the Jet and could share their experience with the machine?

Can anyone tell me if either the closed end model or open end model does a better job?

Your suggestions and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks

Before purchasing my Jet 16-32 I asked this series of questions:
    Ona a scale of 1-10, what is the likelihood that I will need to sand something
    1. Less and 10" wide?
    2. Between 10" and 16" wide?
    3. Between 16" and 22" wide?
    4. More than 22" wide?

The reason I asked these questions is to determine my needs. Setting the sander up for the two-pass takes time and precision. Obviously, #1 was 10. #2 I come up with a 8-9 because I can forsee lots of work at the 12" width. #3 was a 4-5 for me; and #4 was 1, I haven't had to yet so I'm not going to worry about it at this time. Based on that "survey", I went with the 16-32. I know it's more expensive but so far that has paid for itself in reduced hassle.

I love my Jet 16-32 and don't regret the purchase for a second.

Raymond,
    What are you planning on using it for? To me a 13" closed ended sander would be a waste. I have a 13" planar and I sometimes I use it to sand glue-ups that won't fit through the planar. The 10/20 seemed to small for me because I like to send the majority of my stuff through in one pass. I found a Grizzly 18/36 on c'list and am very happy.

If you make stuff smaller stuff than 13" then it would probably be ok to get a closed end machine. I here the closed end machines are better. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with their open end sanders. I am happy with mine.

If you are going to only purchase one drum sander I would certainly go larger capacity than 13". It seems to me the 13" sander would be a tool in a larger shop dedicated to smaller material it could handle. The most versatile is the open end 16" or 18" sander that would handle panels nearly twice that wide.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    For now, I need to get a smaller drum sander and have been looking at the Jet 10-20 and either the Grizzly or Shop Fox 13" closed end models.
    I think I have to concur with the other posters and suggest saving for a wider model. I have no experience with the smaller ones. Being limited to 13" would be frustrating.. While the 10/20 can go to 20" in theory, using an open ended sander like that doesn't give the greatest results. It's ok in a pinch, but not something I like doing often (flilpping the board to use the double capacity).

Whatever you do, remember that you need to take very small "bites" when using a drum sander.. That's a common newbie mistake (attempting to take off too much).

Now you have me thinking...

Currently, I am only interested in sanding boards that are 8" or less to make smaller projects. Whether open or closed end, I was planning on the sanding on a one pass basis for the most part.

Someday I plan on doing some furniture projects so maybe I should spend a little more now and get a 16 - 32 or similar machine to more easily handle wider boards. It sounds like the smaller one might be a little underpowered for wider boards.

I would rather spend more up front and have a machine that will meet longer term needs.

Thanks for the tips.

I went through a long decision process when I bought my 22-44" Jet drum sander. I got the larger sander since it was $100 more (at the time), came with a bigger motor and castings and mostly since it had the sandsmart system that controls speed of the feed to prevent overload. It was worth the extra money. The biggest drawback is the amount of space the sander consumes.
    Gary

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I would go with the larger sander (I have a 16/32). Its not just the size of individual boards, but also assemblies - think panels, doors, etc.

Ironcally, though, I think I actually use the machine more often on really small stuff that would be dangerous to smooth on a jointer or planer.

I have the Grizzly open end. Love it. It was dead on out of the box. The sheets are easy to change. I one problem (cosmetic) - taken care of by Grizzly customer service.

The larger sanders are wonderful but a lot of tools would

be wonderful also - their floor space and cost to me were not justified. Unlike the comment that flipping to the second side was a hassle, I have no problem - it is always set for that and 20" is plenty for me. Works great, love it.