Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAJOR Gloat (in Reverse)

Talking MAJOR Gloat (in Reverse)

Just unloaded a tool set out at my Dad's garage sale. An early shopper is now the proud owner of one of the most reviled tools on this thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61338

Yessiree - it's the PC9444 Profile Sander

I'm not sure I was this elated buying any new tool. I actually got some money for the thing ($35). Kaching.
    Use the fence Luke

The worst tool I ever bought was a power drain auger with a 100' snake. It worked flawlessly and probably paid for itself in the first two times I used it.

So why do I say it's the worst tool? Well, think about about me on my knees with my plumber's crack showing.

-Jeff

Jeff, I'm already having a rough day, now you've made me blind.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Glad you unloaded that thing. Good riddance.

I see a lot of guys don't like the rotozip? I love mine. Invaluable little gem for rough construction, useless in the woodworking arena IMHO. What are people expecting a roto zip to do that leaves them disappointed? Ever run sheet rock right over door and window penetrations then go back and zip em out? Beats measuring, shaving, hacking, sawing and fighting every time.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, but rereading that old post hurt when they attacked my best little friend the rotozip. I've actually cut loly columns with this thing!

They're also great for cutting holes in shower surrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Well, think about about me on my knees with my plumber's crack showing. -Jeff
    Errr, thanks for the visual......
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Is there a good profile sander?

I have, in the past, looked at and considered the PC profile sander. After reading the various complaints, I am glad that I didn't buy it. The reason I have considered it is because I own a Ryobi profile sander . . . and it is horrible. I would have figured that the PC version would have been a lot better.

That leads to the question -- is there such a thing as a good profile sander? Well, a good power profile sander, at least? I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that hand sanding is the only way to go in places where a profile sander would be used otherwise.

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post

Well, think about about me on my knees with my plumber's crack showing.

-Jeff
    WHOA!!! A sure case of TMI overload.

I think I've got one better, I bought a Shopsmith Mark V with more than four attachments, for $400. I cleaned it up a lot and then played with it for a while. It is truely a jack of all trades, master of none.

I want something more substantial and plan to have a shop that will hold those kind of tools.

I put it back on CL several times and finally sold it for $750. That's enough to buy a Steel City 35618 that is currently advertised in Knoxville.

I sold a wrecked Delta contractor... $75
    Bought a shopsmith -$400
    Sold a shopsmith $750
    Buy Steel City -$750
    Total Cost $325 Wooo Hoooo.

Not counting the original cost of the Delta, about 18 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    ... The reason I have considered it is because I own a Ryobi profile sander . . . and it is horrible....
    Funny you should mention Ryobi sanders because I also have one of those in the garage sale. It's not a profile but small detail sander. It has a small triangle pad about 2-3". That one's actually a pretty decent sander, but I just haven't used it in a very long time so....
    I haven't noticed any profile sanders other than the PC. Wasn't even aware that Ryobi made one of those.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by John Hixon View Post
    I think I've got one better, I bought a Shopsmith Mark V with more than four attachments, for $400.
    and finally sold it for $750.
    Yup that's better.
    Use the fence Luke

PC detail sander

Has the buyer got a brother? I have one of those (yes, I was stupid enough to but it) and I need to find someone stupid enough to buy it from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I have, in the past, looked at and considered the PC profile sander. After reading the various complaints, I am glad that I didn't buy it. The reason I have considered it is because I own a Ryobi profile sander . . . and it is horrible. I would have figured that the PC version would have been a lot better.

That leads to the question -- is there such a thing as a good profile sander? Well, a good power profile sander, at least? I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that hand sanding is the only way to go in places where a profile sander would be used otherwise.

Cheers,

Chris
    Try the Fein Multimaster... mine works great

Now, you never know.....

He may have found a perfectly good use for it. Like sharpening pencils or using it for a powered back scratcher.
    And now for something completely different....

I unloaded mine on ebay. I thought I was going to have to throw it out, but someone paid $50 for it. Go figure.