Thread: OSB Walls and Latex Paint

OSB Walls and Latex Paint

I am in the process of insulating and finishing the 2X4 stud walls in my Garage Shop. I am covering the 2X4 studs with OSB. I would like to paint the walls with white latex paint, but I have heard in this forum that the OSB may de-laminate in some areas. I was thinking about putting on one coat of shellac, then painting with latex. Would this potentially solve any de-lamination problems?

Thanks,

VB

I had some spots that delaminated. I either pulled the loose flake off and threw it away, or more frequently I just stuck it back down with paint. I used a primer first but honestly I have no idea what--something that came in a 5gal pail at Lowes (and I used a full 5 gallons for my 30x32x12 shop.)

I use PVA (polyvinyl-acetate). It is a primer for raw sheetrock, it is cheap, works great and covers well with latex paint. I use high gloss white latex paint because it helps hide the OSB look and helps brighten up the room.
    David B

Thanks for the info

VB

Great Name!
    I too used OSB in the workshop. I used the cheap "Barn & Fence" paint in a 5-gallon bucket from Lowes. I needed 4-coats to look good and used around 1.5 buckets of paint.
    Good Luck
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

I used KILZ to prime it, which was cheaper than the latex, than one coat of latex. If you get a little chip or small delam don't worry about it, remember if you use your shop at all it's going to have dings, chips and all kinds of marks on it. Also, check out all that storage space you have between those joist.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

Sheens less than semi-gloss will actually do a better job of brightening the room. With flatter paints, there is more diffusion of the light, whereas semi-gloss and gloss will reflect more light and leave glare. The trade-off is that flatter paints hold more dust and dirt and are more prone to scuffing. Personally, I would spend a few extra bucks and use a mid-grade exterior flat paint, as it will be more washable than an interior one, it won't hold as much dust, and is far more durable than interior paints. It will just spatter more if you roll it on...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Ditto on the Kilz - one coat of that, one coat of the cheapest white paint I could buy, and the walls are snow white, with just a hint of OSB showing through for ambiance...

Try to paint them (roll it) outside on the ground or wherever you can first; it is a lot easier.

Thanks again for the info

Last weekend I was able to complete insulating the walls and getting most of OSB boards up. I have one more section to do (hopefully tonight) and then I can trim it out and paint this weekend.

I JUST finished the same last weekend. I used Kilz for the primer on recommendations from others here. Note that the Kilz gets about a third less coverage over OSB then stated.

One can is supposed to cover 327sq/f. I had about 650 sq/f to cover, and I JUST made it with 3 cans.

Also, watch the Kilz - it sprays like mad! I fine mist if you roll too fast. I had to lay down some boards as I wasn't expecting the paint mist.

Once that was up though, I got 2 coats with 3 cans of latex. I had an extra can, but decide 2 was enough. (I got lazy, and the weekend was over!)

Here's some shots:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (16.2 KB, 183 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (22.2 KB, 152 views)