Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to buy new safety glasses, but....

Need to buy new safety glasses, but....

At a woodworking show two years ago, I bought some safety glasses from an exhibiter who specialized in safety equipment. These were polycarbonate full size safety glasses with a diopter rating of 1.5 or 1.75. They were not the type with the bifocal type area, the whole thing was rated for reading glasses. They worked great in the shop. For me they were strong enough I could read, but weak enough to just leave on all the time. That is the good news.

The bad news is that I ran over them yesterday. I can attest that they are 'almost indestructible', but not quite.

I have searched on the internet and cannot find this type of safety glasses. There are a lot of stylish ones with the diopter insert, but I want the full size full readers with the side guards, like I had.

Can anyone remember the name of the company which sold safety equipment at the WW shows? They have not been there lately. If not, can anyone tell me who else may carry this type.

Help an old guy out, please.

Rick Potter

Hi Rick,

I recently bought these - that sound like what you are looking for. Very clear polycarbonate lenses, single lens (the bifocal type drive me crazy).

http://www.amazon.com/MAG-SAFE-MAGNI...5705818&sr=8-1

Cheers,
    John

Uvex displayed at our local show a few years ago. Vendors may differ from show to show, though.

I don't know if they ever displayed at a WWing show, but I buy my safety stuff from Northernsafety.com. They have a good selection of eye protection so worth a look anyway.
    JeffD

Wow

I told my wife when I posted this that there are people who would know what I was talking about, and you guys sure didn't let me down.

Thanks for the quick replies. John hit it right on the head. Those are the glasses I want, just like mine but not pretzel shaped. I am ordering two or three pair.

Note to anyone reading this....these glassed are fantastic, mine have been dropped, sat on, and carried around in pockets for two years and the lenses are hardly scratched. Even running them over with the Jeep on concrete didn't break them. They twisted up so bad they finally came apart at the hinges, the lenses are still not bad. I highly recommend them.

Thanks again,

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ... I am ordering two or three pair....
    Rick Potter
    If they really last that long, I suggest you order the 1.75 diopter, the 2.0 diopter, the 2.5 diopter, etc. Trust me!

Incidentally I have an old 2.5 or 3.0 pair of drug store glasses that I occasionally use for close work... easier than a separate magnifier.

I've been buying safety glasses from safteyglassesusa.com lately. I believe they carry the format you want.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been buying safety glasses from safteyglassesusa.com lately. I believe they carry the format you want.

I have used them for myself and have no complaints about them. Their prices are very competitive and service is great.

I have bought a couple of hundred pairs in the last year or so, concrete work tends to eat them up, and I prefer to get Uvex. They have many styles that will fit most and don't look bad. I gotta get what they will wear. Pyramex is also a good brand. My Project Manager will attest to that. He got hit by a rock kicked up by a spinning tire and it stopped it. Small chip out of it, but better than losing an eye.

Full Lens Mag Safety Glasses

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...y-glasses.html

I use the same glasses. Took me some time to find replacements.

This place has them.

Lee Valley has some nice ones.

11. I believe that all lenses are polycarbonate these days.

The "safety" ones are just those made to meet a specification and tested accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I believe that all lenses are polycarbonate these days.

The "safety" ones are just those made to meet a specification and tested accordingly.
    ANSI Standard, Z87.1-1968 - and it must be stamped on the frame.

If you want to go high end, most Oakley's meet the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I believe that all lenses are polycarbonate these days.

Actually, they still do make them with glass. There was even one (medical) reason, why a few people get them, but since I wouldn't fall into that category, I ignored it.

Just ordered..

Well, I called a couple friends who had admired mine. They both wanted a pair, and I got three more for me. I even followed Charlie's advice and got one with a step up on the magnification for future ageing eyes.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick Potter

Lee Valley carries some lenses that stick to whatever safety glasses you wish to use. They look interesting and I assume that coming from LV they are a good product but as always...LV = $$$

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42216&ap=1

J.R.