Thread: First Ball & Claw, Critique & Advise Requested

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Ball & Claw, Critique & Advise Requested

Well, actually, this is my second attempt at carving a ball and claw but my first finished B&C attempt and my third attempt at carving anything at all. The first B&C attempt was all wrong right from the pattern so it went in the fire . This one isn't done yet as it needs a little more refining and cleanup but I need some other sets of eyes besides my own to help me with where it needs a little more work. I've been looking at it for so long that I think I'm probably overlooking some areas that need some more work.

I used basswood figuring it was an inexpensive wood to learn on and becaue everyone recommends it as a good carving wood. I actually found parts of it a little splintery and it didn't take well to the rasp at all, it just got fuzzy. I think a hardwood like cherry or walnut would work much better, albeit a little more difficult due to being harder. It is based on the Philadelphia style but not intended to be an exact copy of anything. It's more of my own personal interpretation and spin of the Philadelphia style foot. I think the top knuckle looks a little wide on most of the toes and the web-tendon junction looks a little shallow to me but again, I think I've been looking at it too long. Please offer any advise and critique you may have. All comments, good or bad are welcome as they all help me to learn where to focus my efforts. I'm just starting to carve and need all the advise I can get ! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images