Thread: Homemade Shopmade Turning Tools

Homemade Shopmade Turning Tools

Here's are three tool handles I made in the shop. The longer ones are equipped with steel I bought from David Ellsworth - nice guy - and I made the handles roughly from his description of the length he uses, only I glued up a couple of ash boards and turned the handles, not having a forest from which to gather wood. The other is a 3/8 inch Thompson shallow detail gouge - which I have yet to touch wood with - handled to a length of red palm I bought at the 2008 symposium. My hole centering is a little off, but I think it will be allright. All are epoxied into the wood, and the ferrules are simply copper plumbing couplers available at any borg for a couple of bucks. See the key for scale. The last photo shows my complete arsenal. Oh, yeah - I built the outdoors table the tools are sitting on. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-13-2008 at 6:56 PM.

Nice job Mike!

I suggest that for the center tool in the first picture that you drill a small handle mount perpendicular to the loength of the handle for lateral atability when hollowing. I had fits keeping the torque from ripping it out of my hands while hollowing. Also a mark noting vertical is a big help. enjoy and show pictures.
    Bob

Some good looking tools Mike. I would suggest the same thing to make a mark so you can tell where the tool is at inside.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey, let me ask you all this - do you glue your steel into the tool handle - and if so, what type of glue do you use, or just pressure fit, or what? Mike

I only glue up if the steel rotates in the handle. A bit of epoxy and push the steel in or if snug but rotates a bit of ca without taking the steel back out. Usually tight enough with no glue though..Bill..

aaaahhhhhh.... air conditioned shop