Thread: APB on Bandsaw experts

APB on Bandsaw experts

Hello All,

I just recently bought a Delta 14" bandsaw 28-206, I need to tune the machine. Any thoughts where I can reference information (excluding the manual) on the web? Suggestions and or step by step procedure would be appreciated.

Bandsaw tune-up

Jesse
    I just happened to see your post - have been really busy over the last month or so.
    I think the reason that nobody has replied to your post is because there have been many, many articles and posts concerning tuning up a bandsaw - many, many, many.
    So you might do a search on this forum or a search on Google.
    Also, it seems that the various magazines do a tune-up in one or the other at least once a year.
    But the authority on tune-ups for band saws is Iturra Design at 888-722-7078.
    Call them and GET their catalog. You will be overwhelmed with information about bandsaws. Their catalog is a welcome and vital addition to any woodworkers library.
    Well, hope this helps you.
    I am not associated with Iturra Design - just use some of their parts and equipment and have come to know the talent and authority that Lou Iturra has.
    Daniel
    Last edited by Daniel Rabinovitz; 04-24-2004 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spell check
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Much appreciated

Daniel,

Thank you for responding, for while there, I thought I was on my own. I did however, work through some of the kinks. The blade supplied by Delta (1/8") is not the best. I was having a problem with the blade tracking right off the wheel. Through trial and much error, since the manual gives you just enough, so you can hang yourself, I adjusted the top wheel for coplanarity and tensioned some bit more and it seemed fine. I do have one question. I used a piece of red oak for a trial run, and I had some tear out on the bottom surface of the oak touching the table top. The other problem I used my miter gauge from my tablesaw to see if I could get a smooth (90 Deg.) square cut. That didn't happen. Am I asking to much? ( I don't think so). Any feedback would be appreciated. I thought of adjusting the table top, (similar to a tablesaw) I don't see a way of adjusting it, and the instruction manual is less help

Question A bandsaw blade that doesn't cut straight - eek!

Jesse
    First - Tear out - An 1/8 inch blade can wander as the density and grain of the wood changes. The number of teeth of the blde might be causing it. The width of the opening in the throat plate - is it a zero clearance throat plate? (don't answer to me). Tension on the blade. How expensive is the blade - is it a cheap one or an expensive one - is it a carbon steel, high speed steel, or a carbide tooth blade. E'gads there are allot of variables. And you want a defined answer. Bah humbug.

Second - most ( and I said MOST) all blades tend to wander. You have to set the fence to accommodate the wander - and you have to accommodate the mitre gauge.
    Now if you have a really GOOD blade ( and the fellows on the forum all have their opinions as to which is the "best") you might get a "straight" cut. So you ain't goin' to get the name of a "good" blade out O' me. I know when to keep my mouth shut. You pay your money and you "nit-pick" when it doesn't cut straight but YOU BOUGHT IT. He-he!

Go ahead - ask the feloows which is the best blade and watch the forum light up like a match.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Lightbulb What a loaded reply

Daniel,

I picked up Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw book, your response matches the numerous variables associated with a bandsaw. Just looking through the tuning part of the book, I see what you mean.

On a another related topic, are you working on anything interesting? After I finished tuning up the bandsaw for a test run, I started installing a mortising kit for my drill press. I started a free standing desktop book stand. I cut out the overall shape. I just need to work on some thru mortises and some sanding and staining.

Talk to you later,
    Jesse