Thread: Signing your work (Pt. II) and my new brand

Signing your work (Pt. II) and my new brand

Well, after listening to all your sage advice, I decided to pull the trigger and get a brand. I bought it from Brand New Brands (brandnew.net). I had a great experience with them and am very satisfied with the purchase. I got the gas heated brand which you heat over an open flame - in my case our kitchen stove. This brand was one of their standard patterns and cost $62 with shipping. It took two weeks to get from the time I ordered it.

While I was on my lunch break, I just had to give this a try. I branded the inside of my bedroom table drawers. The heat from the brand burns the logo and the surrounding area. After you sand it a bit, you're left with what you see in the pictures. I may still add some personal touches with a Sharpie, but I'm content with this for now.

Thanks again for all the help! Now, for those pic's...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Jason, that's pretty neat! Thanks for sharing the pics and the source. Maybe one of these years when my own work is worthy enough, I'll have to look into one of those!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Awesome, Jason, just awesome...and the branding is very cool, too!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jason,

How does it work on a dark wood, like cherry or walnut?

Can you try it and post a pic? I am interested, but want to see if it will work on cherry.

Thanks,

Martin
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, you must know me too well. Of course I couldn't stop palying around with just a couple of drawers. What's the old saying, "Brand while the iron's hot."

Anyway, here is a picture of a cherry table which was just branded into the Tuinstra herd. I was a bit nervous on this piece because I didn't want to let the brand burn too long. This would create dark spots that I wouldn't be able sand out becuase it would ruin the finish/petina. Hence, I didn't burn as deep as the other ones I did. The result is still good but it isn't quite as clean as my previous attempts. You get the point.

I think a nice custom brand would look great on a curly cherry hope chest - with hand cut dovetails of course - don't you think Martin?

I better run. I have some hamburgers to grill. My wife suggests using the conventional method. Oh well...

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Jason Tuinstra I think a nice custom brand would look great on a curly cherry hope chest - with hand cut dovetails of course - don't you think Martin?

Well, Jason, yes it would.

However... I am almost finished with my router table project, which I needed to build to complete the blanket chest. When I finally get it finished, maybe I can work on the blanket chest... in about 3 months. I start training for the right seat of the Airbus next week, and my participation in woodworking will cease until around the end of July. If you notice me gone from the board, it is because I am busy memorizing lots of minutia.

Of course, someday I will finish the blanket chest, and post pics.

Bill Grumbine asked me how my shaker roundstand (that he helped me start two years ago) was coming along. Alas, I had to confess it is no farther along than last time he saw it.

I am, and will remain for the forseeable future, the world's slowest woodworker. (sigh)
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 04-22-2004 at 8:46 PM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thumbs up

I saw the earlier post on branding irons and looked at the site. I picked the tree like yours. Now that I've seen one I'm going to have to order. Just remember guys, what we call crude is called "primitive" at the auction house so go ahead and brand all of it. That way you get the proper credit or blame . Great work Jason.
    BONUM VINUM LAETIFICAT COR HOMINIS
    (Good wine galddens a mans heart)

Signing MY work!?

Jason,
    I really like the brand and your work. I'm going to order one for MY junk. However, I'm going to put my neighbor's name on it. I don't want any letter bombs send to MY house. Thanks for the pictures. EVERYTHING looks great!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Looks good

I got my brand from the same source. Very friendly and helpful in all my dealings with them.

My only tip is to watch that you don't get the thing too hot. I did and the branding plate seperated from the handle. Easy enough to braze it back on but it would have been even easier not to melt it off in the first place!

For those without the cash, any copper soldering iron will drill and pare just like hardwood with your carving tools:

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I have an electric one that I got through Rockler and it works quite well for marking projects...when I remember to use it! It's just the basic "Handcrafted by..." design. These branding tools really are great. I have to figure out if the iron on mine will take the custom brands from the source in this thread as I'd like to have a very small one made to mark turnings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...