Thread: Knurling wood

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.

Knurling wood

Has anyone on the Creek ever attempted this design on wood? Does it require the same tooling as on a metal lathe or can it be simulated in another fashion?
    thx!
    [do you think this will work? http://www.integi.com/ingles/m3i.htm ]
    Last edited by Norm Zax; 07-14-2008 at 7:03 AM. Reason: adding URL

Allot of gunstocks have a similar pattern, Don't know how it is done. Just know it is
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Norm,

You can knurl wood, I have a picture of a wooden pipe wrench that has a knurled part, when i get back to my shop I will try to find it.

Not knurling!

The figure is actualy cut into the wood with a special tool called a chekering tool. It is a special saw that will cut from one to three V shaped grooves into the surface of the wood. Gun smiths use them to apply patterns to the gunstock to provide a better grip. In use the gunsmith will apply a pattern to the wood and then cut around it. It would be easy to apply this tecnique to turnings with a little practice.
    Bob
    checkering set (627 x 864).jpg

I bought these at the Symposium from Crafts Supply USA because the price was right. I have used them on a couple of lidded boxes and it works pretty slick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I came to post the Wagner tool too! Since Bernie beat me, I'll just add there's a short video about the Wagner tools on CSUSA's page.

Checkering tool will run about 25 to 50$ depending on how fancy you want to get , I did some checkering work long time ago and if your hands are up for a lot of pressure work .... most good gun smiths will have a set of the tools to clean up exsisting checks or make new for their stocks- pistol grips -forarms etc, for them selves or use a word carver in the area. I'd maybe get a class with one next time they have work to do.A typical knurling tool will work only on round stock and there are many sources out there for that.machine shop supply houses etc ( little machine shop, MSC,Enco,) they are best clamped in the tool post , they are not something you can hold in your hand and knurl with very easily ( as they must be held still or the pattern will skew and look funny ) like the checkering tool which is hand held, but then the wood's not moving , your hand is.
    John 3:16

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Thanks all!!

I actually got a Dem-Bart starter set for my birthday last week to learn checkering. Did a sample run yesterday on some poplar and can't wait to start with my own pistol grips and adding some extra flare to my platter rims. Woodcraft has the starter set for $50. I was a little unimpressed with the quality of the set, but after using it some I found that it was just cosmetic and they work fine.