Two weeks ago when I visited my friend Jack In Au Train Twp' In Michigan's Upper Penisula we went up to his camp to harvest firewood. The wood is trees approximately sixty feet tall that blew over in a storm. these mostly maple and cherry trees have logs around 14-18 in in diameter. Jack heats with wood so it follows that he needs to harvest lots of firewood. while we were there, I spotted several stumps that Steve and I could salvedge for turning. One in particular caaught my eye, and that was the burl that Jack and I retrieved yesterday. I gave it to Steve because I cannot turn it on my little 1236 HF lathe, and already have way too much wood in my shop. As some have predicted Steve will do the piece justice. The burl is at least sixteen inches across and was at the stump level, or Jack would be burning it this winter. I would point out here that Steve would have been with me yesterday, but on Sunday his wife fell and broke her leg. Steve has been a great neighbor, and frequently helps me with chores that I am unable to do, (Health). I will never be able to repay him, but I can try.
Bob